Are you knowledgeable about 60's Olds motors?

Please reply to snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com as I have anti-spammed my shown "reply to" address.

The project is to resurrect a sailplane launch winch which has a 60's (we think) 350cid Olds motor and auto transmission. At the moment, we really don't know what we've got, but the motor is pretty well seized due to sitting 10+ years. At the moment it seems like the easiest solution would be to find an identical motor that is running (or at least will turn over) and swap them out.

We know the winch was built roughly in the 70s and suspect the motor to have come from perhaps a late 60's olds car. One person who saw the motor recently said he thought it might be a "307". I have a couple pics I can send to anyone who thinks they can identify it.

It's a V8, has what I'd describe as a small two barrel carb on it. Oil filter is mounted in a vertical position on the aft right side of the engine just behind the exhaust cross over tube. The water pump is directly over the main pulley and there is only about 3/8" clearance between the pulley on the crank and the water pump pulley. Altenator is located on the top right side. Distributor is located on the top of the motor just aft of the intake manifold. Fuel pump is located on the front of the motor just below the altenator.

Thanks for any help!

Mark

Reply to
Mark Zivley

What do you need to know? I own a ' 68 Cutlass with a 350/2bbl. The engine has not been made for years. Finding a motor might be difficult since the motor would most likely be in a running car. Why not get a later model V8 with trans?

Chas Hurst

Reply to
Chas Hurst

Assuming it is, in fact, just seized from long storage, I'd be inclined to try to un-seize the engine on it, if possible - you might try pulling the plugs, dumping some penetrating oil or something into the cylinders and leaving it a while to see if that frees it up..

Reply to
Robert Hancock

I've done a lot of swapping when it comes to Olds 350 engines--changed

55-60 diesels over to 350 gas engines, for instance. In changing them over, I used anywhere from 1970- thru 1980's- 350's. They are all similar (identical enough) enough to have made the changeovers a 1-2-3-4 process that we could've written instructions for others to follow. Even the later 307 engines would work the same as long as we used an HEI distributor and older, non-electronic carbs--all the years 1975 and up came from the factory with the hei ignition, so when we used, say, a 1971 engine, we'd find a 1975-up hei distributor to use. The 1974 and older cam with points/condensor type--not nearly as dependable as the '75-up hei. We even used, at times, the 260 cu-inch engine--had same external dimensions as the 350. And we even usd a couple of 455 cu in engines, which presented no unusual problems--same engine supports, trans. bolt pattern; IIRC, even the exhaust/crossover pipes were the same: we used the same exhaust that came on the diesels on all swaps. HTH & good luck. Fortunately, you've got a setup that will accept many different year-models, and engine-sizes. BTW: I feel that GM felt the Olds 350 was their BEST engine--after all, they chose it to convert to a diesel. Also chose it to put in their 1st series Cadillac Sevilles--merely put a fuel injection system on it.
Reply to
sdlomi

sdlomi, Did you keep any of those 55 to 60 diesels?

I am into the 4.3L V6 diesels, have enough engines and parts to last a lifetime.

Reply to
V6Diesel