Aircraft Are Big Air Polluters and Go Unchallenged - read.905.ew

57,585 US gallons of fuel on a 747 for a 13.5 hour trip

That would be approximately 5,758 automobile engines running all day at top speed

380 trans pacific flights per day

That would be 2,188,040 automobile engines running all day at top speed

So who is the most invisible air polluter in the world today? everyday?

*Statistics from: *Airlines for America, *Flyer Talk Forum, *Professional Pilots Rumor Forum
Reply to
erness.wild

Pilots Rumor Forum

Try driving to the Far East-even an Amphi Car wouldn't make it.

Get a life

Reply to
Jim_Higgins

But Google Maps said I could do it in a canoe. You mean they lied to me? I'm heart broken...

Personally I think we should eliminate all forms of motorized transportation, require all products be produced locally, allow travel only by foot or bicycle (or pedi-cab) and don't allow animal power transportation either. No way do I want to wade through horse shit. Oh, wait, this thread has the capability to degenerate into horse pucky at an moment!

Reply to
PeterD

Pilots Rumor Forum

From Wikiepedia

Some climate scientists have theorized that aircraft contrails (also called vapor trails) are implicated in global dimming, but the constant flow of air traffic previously meant that this could not be tested. The near-total shutdown of civil air traffic during the three days following the September 11, 2001 attacks afforded a unique opportunity in which to observe the climate of the United States absent from the effect of contrails. During this period, an increase in diurnal temperature variation of over 1 °C (1.8 °F) was observed in some parts of the U.S., i.e. aircraft contrails may have been raising nighttime temperatures and/or lowering daytime temperatures by much more than previously thought.[26]

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Pilots Rumor Forum

Probably "not enough data." But I believe aircraft are major polluters. Always have. You can smell them quite a distance from an airport. Multiply the above by actual flights including all aircraft. I was working near a major O'Hare flight path on 9-11. Every couple hours I'd be outside for a smoke. It was eerie with no aircraft. Real quiet too.

Reply to
Vic Smith

So what do you suggest be done about this?

Reply to
Bill

Den s=F6ndagen den 18:e november 2012 kl. 15:40:38 UTC skrev Bill:

The changes are slowly happening.

The prices will continue to go up and they will define what kind of transpo= rt will be used.

The cars go electric.

The trains take over many long distances from the planes.

It is not a question of if just how and when.

The prices are just about to go over a fiscal cliff.

Reply to
gosinn

More fuel efficient engines, with higher thrust output using less fuel would be a start. Like overdrive in a car, larger fan blades in an aircraft engine.

Reply to
erness.wild