Attn: Ian Malibu A/C problem

My wife has a 2004 malibu classic and it starting to have the usual problem with the a/c where it will cut on and off by itself. When you look at the switch the green light has gone out and the a/c goes off and then it will light backup by itself . We had a '98 that done the same thing but was fixed under warranty . What needs fixing?

Reply to
Kevin Smith

"Kevin Smith" wrote in news:liMDg.7604$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

remove ac controls from dash/remove knobs/CAREFULLY 'pop' circuit board out of plastic case/locate the variable resistors on circuit (they appear as almost full circles. about the size of a nickel. around knob shaft holes)/clean these areas (i use fine emory cloth followed by rubbing alcohol) AND clean the small 'fingers' that contact them when assembled/carefully reassemble and test.........ive never had one come back since finding out about this process.................not ian but hope i helped, kjun

Reply to
KjunRaven

A full description of the do-it-yourself repair can be found at:

Used it to fix the controller on my Malibu three years ago and it still works.

Regards, John

Reply to
John Sheatsley

Well, damn it, John. I sure wished you'd have posted this a couple months ago. My brother just replaced the a/c control head on my Mom's Malibu at a cost of around $170, I think it was. He had asked me about the problem she was having, (identical to that referenced in your link), and I found several instances of it listed on the IATN website. The techs. there had always fixed the problem with a new control head. I told him to replace the control head, not knowing they could be repaired like this. Thanks for posting it. Good stuff for future reference.

Garrett Fulton

Reply to
Garrett Fulton

Well, damn it, Garrett. Sorry this was too late to help you. Someone else posted the link in this newsgroup just before I was about to take my car into the dealer. (Thank you whoever you are!) I just try to re-post it whenever someone asks about the "green light goes off and the air conditioner quits."

Here's another link with instructions for replacing the fan motor resistor card on Malibus. They fail much too easily also.

Regards, John

Reply to
John Sheatsley