Automatic transmission problems on a '94 Buick Park Avenue

Before the present Windstar we drove a 3.3 Caravan over 150 thousand miles on the original tranny. But, like is mentioned earlier. We changed the fluid 2x and... Tranny cooler plus NO trailer hitch. Cool fresh fluid keeps these things alive. (wish there was something that could be done for flimsy build quality of the rest of the unit though).

Me

Reply to
Full_Name

My sentiment:

Boycott the car companies, till they build this shit better!

message

Reply to
Refinish King

Ya know I tried that a while back, but my bicycle kept getting flat tires. Doh!...Stupid Keawe thorns...LOL

GW

Ref> My sentiment:

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

All that would serve to do is put your friends and neighbors that work for them out of a job. The auto industry will survive, they would just automate more and move more work out of the country.

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

Try synthetic trans fluid I've seen it " fix " more than one balky trans. Stuff laughs at the heat that turns conventional fluid into worthless crap

Reply to
451 CTDS

Not to change the subject from Mini vans but I have a 94 Park Avenue w/

129,000 miles. While driving down a mountain pass last week, I used low
  1. Afterwards my tranny started winning. While still whinning the next day, I drove up an old horse trail 8 mile 23% grade. Never made it to Cripple Creek, the car overheated making the front 1/4 panels too hot to touch. I got to Wal mart, changed 3 qts of ATF in the parking lot, the whinning stopped and continued my trip in the Rockies. I then drove 900 miles at 70 mph back to TX without a problem. Why would using the low gears make it whine and overheat. I think that's what caused the heat and whining.
Reply to
Flying_dutch_pig

Not to change the subject from Mini vans but I have a 94 Park Avenue w/

129,000 miles. While driving down a mountain pass last week, I used low
  1. Afterwards my tranny started winning. While still whinning the next day, I drove up an old horse trail 8 mile 23% grade. Never made it to Cripple Creek, the car overheated making the front 1/4 panels too hot to touch. I got to Wal mart, changed 3 qts of ATF in the parking lot, the whinning stopped and continued my trip in the Rockies. I then drove 900 miles at 70 mph back to TX without a problem. Why would using the low gears make it whine and overheat. I think that's what caused the heat and whining.
Reply to
Flying_dutch_pig

Go to synthetic ATF if heat is an issue

Reply to
451 CTDS

Thanks, I'll try syn-oil. The old ATF was only 20 months old but the car was dragging it was packed so heavy with the family. I was told with my last mini-van, that over time, a bigger ATF cooler will save an overloaded trans. At this point in the Buick's life I think I'll pass and just try the syn ATF.

Reply to
Flying_dutch_pig