automatic transmission won't engage

I took an engine and tramsmission out of an 87 full-sized van and put it in my truck but now the transmission won't engage. It worked fine in the van. The fluid level on the dipstick looks good, and I let it run in gear for a little while so the fluid would circulate.

Thanks

Reply to
Vaughn

Bolt the fly wheel to the torque converter?

Are the two transmissions/vehicles compatible?

Is the linkage properly adjusted?

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Yes the flywheel is attached.

I used the engine from the van so it is compatible.

Yes the linkage is correct.

Reply to
Vaughn

Reply to
Shep

If he changed the engine and tranny as a unit, the flywheel and torque convertor should be the ones that came with the combo. Are they, amigo?

And we'll assume that the driveshaft coupled up perfectly (or halfshafts, as the case may be).

I think I would try to readjust the shift and throttle linkages manually one more time, carefully, before going deeper.

Reply to
<HLS

The flywheel and tourque converter are the ones that came with the combo.

Yes the driveshaft coupled perfectly.

I will double check the shift and throttle linkages one more time.

Thanks

Reply to
Vaughn

Reply to
Shep

- Most likely, but one point is to approach it systematically and be sure...at every step... that you have cleared the way to the next step.

Although it is unlikely that the tranny went belly up during the transplant, even that is possible.

Reply to
<HLS

Talking about *belly up*, did you at any time have the tranny turned upside down, like when replacing bottom-end engine components like seals, gaskets, even bearings? Is it a Ford van? s

Reply to
sdlomi2

The van it came out of is an '87 chevrolet.

And no it was never turned upside down. I did almost no work on the transmission so it sat on the floor of my shop for the couple months that it was out of the vehicle.

Reply to
Vaughn

Did you put a new tranny filter in it when you installed the tranny? If so, are you sure you got the old O-Ring out of the hole where the filter plugs in? Did you get the new O-Ring properly seated before you pushed in the filter? This can cause a common obstruction.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I haven't replaced the filter in the transmission. The pan never came off the bottom of the transmission so there sould be no problem there.

Reply to
Vaughn