Bonneville Electrical Question

Hey all. I am having a very weird problem with my 1996 Bonneville SE. A few days ago, my Power Locks, Power Antenna and Interior Lights stopped working, all at once. I could sit in the car and hit the power lock button and it would *attempt* to lock the doors, but it was as if it was not getting enough power, and the BCM would buzz. Also, the Fog Lights were working as the Interior Lights. IE: When you opened a door, the Fog Lights would come on at around 10% brightness and when you hit the Lock button on the remote with all doors shut, the main headlights blink (it always does this as confirmation) *1* fog light blinks (usually both blink, same as the headlights) and the horn chirps. However, the locks only *try* to work. With any door open, you don't get anything from the locks at all. Not with the remote, not with the button and not by putting the car into Drive (which usually locks the doors) or shutting the car off (which usually unlocks the doors). As I said though, if the doors are closed, 9 times out of 10 they try to lock or unlock. So, I tried another BCM. No change. I then was told by someone to try checking out the BCM's ground wire on the passenger side under the dash. I moved it around a bit and it all functions started to work properly again. The only difference was that the keyless entry remote had a much more limited range, but that could be batteries or something else. Anyhow, I decided to clean the ground wire up really well, so I took it off cleaned it up and hooked it back up. When it touched the metal of the car it sparked (normal?), but I hooked it up anyhow. Now, the same problem is back. Exactly the same as before. I tried another BCM again and the only difference this time is the BCM will occasionally beep when I press the Lock button too many times in a row and the 'Fasten Seatbelts' light will try to come on the dash board when this happens (even though the seatbelt is on). Also, if I turn the car on with the seat belt off, the 'Fasten Seatbelts' light comes on, but it goes off if I turn the headlights on with the headlight switch.

Very confusing I know, but *any* help will be very appreciated.

I am sorry for taking up so many people's time but I could really use some help with this. I have asked several different dealers and none of them can think of a problem. I can not afford the $95 an hour that the local dealer charges, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Reply to
80 Knight

All that electronic beldergarb has to be grounded, or it won't work.

Grounds are left to fat chance on today's cars

In the " old " days, current flowed, or it didn't, today we have resistances, miliamperage leakage, grounds can become a switch if intermittent, a semiconductor, or resistor, [ so to speak ], not too different from the sensors they drain current from.

Start by removing battery cable from negative terminal, and following path to where it fastens. Run a heavy jumper [ Ford Starter cable ] from cable to frame rail [ or similar ] Now you know body is grounded, run 10 GA jumpers from that metal to cowl, radiator support, and fenders that contain electronics.

If you plan on keeping car a long time, secure grounding will add life to * all* electronic components

Reply to
451CTDS

[...]

Shep

Thanks I will check it out too.

Reply to
80 Knight

"80 Knight" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com:

i, like the rest, think it is ground prob...utilities will seek out a ground path thru other components if usable ground is not handy....kjun

Reply to
KjunRaven

Yep. It was one of the ground connections in the harness under the carpet near the passanger side door. Thanks for everyones help!! :)

Reply to
80 Knight