can i get a tip on painting your own car

i have a 1990 Chevrolet Cavalier CL 3.1L, and my car is beginning to rust, and starting to get... well, ugly =\

the engine is perfect and i really wouldn't wanna throw it out, it would hurt me even more having to pay about $2000 to get it painted professionally. I love my car, just not that much ;)

anyways, does anyone have a tip on how to paint your own car?

Thanks

Reply to
Jose Flores

Prepping and spraying a car yourself is a major endeavor, you may find out the hard way which paints don't work with which primers. At least get the advice of a local auto paint supply store. Add up the costs of equipment and supplies, again local auto paint stores will be helpful. The basecoat clearcoat paints the have today are not as simple as before, you can easily spend $800 and have a car looking worse then if you just washed and waxed it.

I recommend: a: Contact vocational school that has classes in auto body, many times they will paint car for cost of materials (of course it may not be A1)

b: Buddy up to a local small auto body sh> i have a 1990 Chevrolet Cavalier CL 3.1L, and my car is beginning to rust,

Reply to
bigm8

Buy a book on it first and see if it is really something you think you can handle. Go to amazon etc. and search for auto painting, autobody repair etc. I have done this kind of work on my own and it takes much longer than you think, especially if you are fixing rust which is always 10 times worse underneath the surface.

Reply to
<aircorr

Hello,

Find a prison that has convicts training to paint cars and give the guy that does the work some extra $ for a good job. A vocational school would be next choice. Maaco or Earl Schieb can do a good job fairly cheap if your rust hasn't eaten through from the inside of the metal.

Reply to
Scott

Go for it! Read up on the subject first. Just remember, you may screw it up, but you will learn something.

Gary

Reply to
GARY