Can you verify my methodology??!!??

Hi all,

This spring (I know ... we're not even fully into winter yet!) I'm going to refurbish my new (to me) '71 Super Beetle. This will include a new interior (carpet, door panels, dash, seats and headliner), new paint, and all new window and body seals. I'm stocking up on parts and supplies now so that I'm prepared to complete the project in a one week period.

For some background, the PO of the car had it painted, but unfortunately simply painted over most of the rubber trim pieces. HOWEVER, the body is in perfect shape except for some minor dings that I'll have completed well before the restoration week. 90% of the exterior sanding will have been done prior to beginning of the resto.

Here's my plan .... PLEASE provide comments if you think I've got something out of order here!

Saturday: Strip interior, including removing dash pad, headliner, panels. Sand all painted areas.

Sunday: Remove all windows, and strip all rubber and felt parts from both doors. Sand and prime any areas of hidden rust.

Monday: Remove all exterior items possible. Begin sanding any areas exposed during this process. Touch up any body dings missed earlier.

Tuesday: Prime entire car, inside and out. Work on seat recovering, including new sisal and padding.

Wednesday: Sand out primer, do any minor body work necessary as exposed by the fresh primer. Paint the car, inside and out. Paint is a single stage enamel, but will be clear-coated on the exterior.

Thursday: Install headliner, door panels, dash and carpet. Begin re-installation of all windows, including new seals.

Friday: Rebuild both doors, including all rubber/felt pieces and new door handles (keyed alike ... finally!). Complete installation of other windows.

Saturday: Buff out paint, and put exterior parts back on.

Sunday: GO FOR A DRIVE!

Please keep in mind that the current paint and bodywork are very good, and all body prep (minus those areas that I can't get to with it put together) will be complete prior to this weekend. Also keep in mind that I've got tow people to help me through the whole process (the joy of being a dad!)

Does it sound like the proper sequencing of things? Anything I'm forgetting, or have in the wrong order?

Thanks! Larry Sunday:

Reply to
Larry St. Regis

You're a far better man than I...

That (ambitious) project would take all Spring.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Jim:

I haven't lurked here very long, but I've already come to appreciate and trust your opinions and judgement. Do you believe the plan I've put together is doable?

I have removed and replaced everything on a bug before, including all windows, with the exception of the headliner so I'm not a total neophyte. However, is the schedule too aggressive to be realistic?

Larry

Reply to
Larry St. Regis

Well, if I was to follow that plan it would be something like:

Saturday: Strip interior, find new undiscovered problems that will need extra time to fix, lunch time, siesta, back to work, try to strip headliner, I injure myself in some way, time to freak out and dispare, .....I'll leave the rest for tomorrow.

Sunday: Finish saturday chores and have some beers with friends to celebrate the progress.

The rest of the week: work on the Monday plan.

Man, if you really finish your plan in one week you'll be my hero. I wish you all the luck.

Ant

Speedy Jim wrote in this friggin' newsgroup:

Reply to
Ant

Yes. I was quite serious about the project lasting all Spring. Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

You basically have not accounted for sveral years of previous owners and rust messing everything up. A simple generator rebuild took me 2 weekends (4 days) just because how rusted out and messed out was all inside.

The door rebuild will most likely take a week by itself... :)

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

I've pulled both door panels, the rear seat, and the carpeting already. There is no rust evident that I can find ... even under the battery tray. Keep in mind, please, Herman has spent his entire life in the San Jose, CA area!

The doors are only being 'rebuilt' because there's overspray on the seals from the PO's poor paint job. I have no leaks, nor air leaks, anywhere.

The motor was rebuilt 4k ago, and is running like a champ. Likewise, the transmission was rebuilt 2.5k ago. I have receipts for all this work, and have spoken to the (local) shop that did all repairs. Both are still under warranty.

The front struts, all brake cylinders, all four drums and the master cylinder were replaced last year with full receipts.

Mechanically, the car is great. I'm simply re-doing the cosmetics.

I'll, of course, take pictures of my progress along the way. I intend to start sometime in March (pending our frigid California winters!)

Larry '71 SB - "Herman"

Reply to
Larry St. Regis

Do take the pics as you progress. My bus has spent its life in So Cal. There is little rust, though the heater boxes leak. New ones arrived today and I'll put 'em next week, weather permitting. The icy winter has descended down here already. It's in the low 60's(F) today! Brrrr. ;-)

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

......................I'd like to nail one of you wimpy californians with an icy snowball right between the eyes..............lol

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Well, I grew up in Cleveland ... does that count?! 8^)

Larry '71 SB - "Herman"

Reply to
Larry St. Regis

And you _left_ paradise???

Speedy Jim (Cleveland)

Speedy Jim

...........HAH!.............Here we go STEEEELERS.....here we go.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

I'll have to echo everyone else's comments on your time frame. I did pretty much the same thing you're planning to do, and I was jazzed it "only" took me 6 months

I presume you will have all the replacement parts you "THINK" you'll need. What about things that FUBAR along the way? Unplanned trips to the auto parts (or liquor) store? Misc. injuries? Broken or rusted fender bolts? Broken windshield? (done that)

If you do happen to get it done on your time frame, I will worship you forever.

Please keep a chronological photo documentation of the project, AND what goes wrong to delay your schedule. We'll be taking side bets along the way.

Reply to
Alan Nelson

Whoa -- like, peace, dude.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Thanks, Alan ... I do fully expect there to be unforeseen, shall we say opportunities, along the way, but I am going to try.

I'll be taking photos this weekend of what I'm starting with, and will post them on my website for all to see.

I'm very happy to have found this car. My first car after getting my driver's license in 1975 was a '71 Super, and I've wanted one ever since I let that one go. I happened on this deal and couldn't pass it up. With all of the new mechanicals on it, I still only paid $650! Since purchasing it, I've replaced the speedo and cable, put on new 8-spokes and tires, and thrown some generic front seat covers on it. I've put 800 or so happy-faced miles on him already!

My first bug wound up with a very built 1835 motor (by BugFormance in Sunnyvale, CA), fiberglass hood and flared fenders (very trendy for the late '70s, mind you!) and a beautiful burgundy paint job. I had custom drilled brake drums on it, and ran Cragar SS wheels (remember those?!) with fats in the back, and skinnies in the front. I loved that car, but had to give it up when I blew the motor racing a 914 onto a freeway on ramp. I had him beat, too!

I realize my time schedule is aggressive, but I hope to have the vast majority of teardown and prepping completed before the fateful week ... at least to the point where I can still drive it daily.

Larry '71 SB - "Herman"

Reply to
Larry St. Regis

...............Isn't this how John Henry's eight year resto started?

Reply to
Tim Rogers