Car won’t shift out of park

I have a 95 Cavalier and it?s been running wonderfully. I drove it all day today around town doing errands.....and no problems. I came home for about 30 minute to eat lunch and when I got in my car to leave again, it wouldn?t shift out of park. It?s an automatic transmission and the actual gear shift will shift into all gears, but it?s not really shifing out of park....the indicator on the dash board shows it?s still in park. Any ideas anyone? I?ve never had any problems with this car and don?t have a mechanic. Could it possibly be a broken belt or something as simple as that? Help from a single,

52 yr. old female, who knows NOTHING about cars! LOL
Reply to
Nitestar

Sounds like the shift linkage broke. You will probably need to find a good local garage or a good friend who understands cars...

Reply to
Woody

Actually there are two shift cables in my 96 manual. One of them may have broken or come loose...

Reply to
Woody