Classic Chevy boat

I was watching world news tonight and saw the ultimate classic chevy boat. A bunch of Cubans took a vintage 51 chevy Pick up and strapped a number of 55 gallon barrels on the sides so it would float. They then put a propeller on the end of the drive shaft. They were making 7 MPH when the coast guard caught them. I hoped they saved the truck. Those guys deserved to get into the country.

BOB

Reply to
BOB URZ

Unfortunately, they sunk the "boat" as a hazard to navigation. Also repatriated the Cubans.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Brower

Hell with the cubans, they should have re patriated the truck to the US. Its only fair. I can imagine the cost guard cutter looks sharp with a 51 chevy pick up stenciled on the side as a kill ;)

BOB

Reply to
BOB URZ

Nice to see they can get Monster Garage on satellite.

Reply to
Stephen Bigelow

Executions tonight at 11 Eastern on PTC (Peoples Television of Cuban)

Reply to
Paradox

How in the hell did they steer the thing? 7mph about 90 miles.

Sounds like one hell of a long ride.

Reply to
Clem

Damn you said it before i could.....

Between monster garage or junkyard wars i have to say that truck is one hell of a piece of engineering....

Reply to
nooneimportant

Unfortunately the coast guard claimed it was a hazard to navigation and sunk it.

Probably would have gotten all sorts of offers to appear on talk shows...with the truck.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Now that's just a shame, I saw the pics of that truck, it looked pretty good.

nate

Reply to
Nathan Nagel

Reply to
karl davis

I would think that the front wheels would make crude rudders as well. Being on the wrong end they wouldn't work as well but could still do the job.

Reply to
Brent P

any links to those pics? I really wanna see that engineering masterpiece!

ahmet

Reply to
dragon

Truck looked like it is was in good condition too.

Reply to
Brent P

Wow! It didn't look THAT nice on the news.

What a shame they sunk it.

masterpiece!

Clem

I don't remember whether it was local or national news, but when one reporter mentioned that the truck was sunk as a nav hazard, the phrasing was more or less:

"The Coast Guard considered the truck a navigation hazard so it was sunk.... [dramatic pause] ... like a rock."

So perhaps GM may decline the offer...

karl davis wrote:

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Reply to
Ed Price

Well.....since you asked....yes it is. If you haven't noticed we are being overrun with illegal immigrants and most of them are unable to support themselves. Ingenuity and determination you call it? How about a burglar who spends weeks checking out your house before robbing you blind and leaving no clues as to who did it. I could call him ingenuous and determined as well couldn't I? Would you give that burglar safe haven just because he was "ingenious and determined"? Bob

Reply to
Bob

I've got a model of that style truck, but I think mine is a 1950.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~260,484 miles_~_~~_
Reply to
Harry Face

You could use empty film canisters to simulate the flotation drums. haha GW

Harry Face wrote:

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Not in this case, and both political parties won't stop it because they want the votes.

Has no relation to building a powered boat from a '51 chevy truck, a task that requires a skill sets that make a person employable.

Reply to
Brent P