Clunk in right rear. Help

I have a 1991 Buick regal . It has an annoying clunk from the right rear. It sounds like the exhaust hitting the underside, but the exhaust is tight with no movement. I had it up on the hoist to put tires on and it all seems tight. I put new struts and mounts last year this time as well so thet is ruled out.. It has disc brakes in the rear as well. Any opinions will be welcomed, since I plan to haul off the wheel tomorrow again to investigate. The sound went away for a few days and recently came back ARGHHH

Reply to
jl

Look for a missing or deteriorated rubber insulator at the end of the leaf spring on that side. (wise to keep an eye on both sides) Could still be a strut making the noise depending on what brand you had installed.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

Hmmmm 91 ! ? At that age it could be stress noises related to where the suspension components or steel parts connect to the unibody.

Could also be metal fatigue, body flexing or a misaligned / cracked spring.

I've got an occasional clunk that goes clunk on deceleration to a stop. LR side. Its had that clunk for 10 + years. Seeing nothing has broken or fallen off the vehicle by this point I figger its not to serious an issue, at least with me it isn't. I even look forward to hearing the clunk - If I didn't hear it, then I'd be worried.

Good Luck

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE, 3800 V6 _~_~_~_~274,329 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face