98 Savana 3500 5.7 L - 217,000 Miles

I am the original owner of this GMC Van. This Cargo Van sees mostly highway miles. Very little City miles. The Van is like new. I use it for delivering furniture, and occasionally pulling a trailer. I have religiously changed the oil. I have never changed the transmission fluid, and mechanics tell me not to do it, because that would shock it ( if its working, don't fix it.) At present, my rear main seal leaks, if I don't put in an oil additive. The big question is, what should I do ? 1.. keep putting the additive in to stop the leak 2.. Change the rear seal, and maybe the transmission seal while I'm at it 3.. sell the Van & buy a new one, which would now cost about $27,000.00 I really like the Van, and I really have no problems, other than the oil leak, and I love having no monthly payments. How long can this fantasy last ?

Reply to
Ron

change the rear seal, but not the transmission seal, since that would require a flush and with that many miles on it, would probably screw up the tranny. "Ron" wrote in message news:NhuHb.72119$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.nyc.rr.com... I am the original owner of this GMC Van. This Cargo Van sees mostly highway miles. Very little City miles. The Van is like new. I use it for delivering furniture, and occasionally pulling a trailer. I have religiously changed the oil. I have never changed the transmission fluid, and mechanics tell me not to do it, because that would shock it ( if its working, don't fix it.) At present, my rear main seal leaks, if I don't put in an oil additive. The big question is, what should I do ? 1.. keep putting the additive in to stop the leak 2.. Change the rear seal, and maybe the transmission seal while I'm at it 3.. sell the Van & buy a new one, which would now cost about $27,000.00 I really like the Van, and I really have no problems, other than the oil leak, and I love having no monthly payments. How long can this fantasy last ?

Reply to
Paradox

217,000 miles and haven't changed the transmission fluid? I probably wouldn't flush the thing either, heard too many stories. I have no doubt that the mechanics don't want to touch anything, because they know, anything goes wrong you'll be looking at them.. But I would drain and refill + change filter. You won't get the stuff in the torque converter, but you'll get a lot of the metal and crap thats in there. And then do another drain and refill a few weeks later. When you (or your garage) drain it the first time.. Get a test kit from
-- they send them for free.. Put asample of the transmission fluid in the kit and send it off to them +$20. They'll send you a report telling you how much of various metalsis sitting in the fluid. It's a really good indicator of whats goingon in there.. 217k miles and nothing else wrong. I'd say drive it until it breaks... And then swap the engine (if it needs it) and transmission. Still talking about far less than $27,000...

__________________ Note: To reply, replace the word 'spam' embedded in return address with 'mail'. N38.6 W121.4

Reply to
Barry S.

Barry S wrote : I have religiously changed the oil. I have never changed the transmission oil....

You need to change religions or sit in a pew further up so you can hear whats being said. You missed the part when the preacher said, " Change the transmission oil every 50,000 miles ".

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE, 3800 V6 _~_~_~_~274,329 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

I was thinking of trying this Auto-RX treatment

Reply to
Ron