OBDII vs OBDI

If I buy an OBD2 code reader will it also work on my 1995 Toyota Tercel. I don't know what the Tercel takes, but, all the adds for OBD2 readers say they are compatible for 1996 and newer cars. Are they backward compatible?

I never see ads for OBD1 scanners? How come?

All advise appreciated.

Ivan Vegvary

2000 Chev Silverado 1995 Toyota Tercel 1994 Honda Accord 1991 Mazda B2600 1990 Nissan Maxima 1952 Pontiac 1948 Pontiac
Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

Not backward compatible. A bent paper clip should do the job on obd1 though.

Reply to
Steve Austin

The answer is "Maybe" 93-95 are interesting years for ODB. Depending on the manufacturer and the model of the vehicle you could have either.

1995 was the official change year, but some makers released OBDII vehicles earlier than that.

Some of the scanners out there (like the Actron Super Scanner) will read OBDI, OBDII, CAN and a couple others if you buy the proper cables. However none of the lower end scanners will read ABS, Airbag or body module faults. They only pull power train codes.

Reply to
Steve W.