Coolant leak

Reply to
SgtSilicon

My bet is that all will eventually fail, but that the time and mileage too failure is highly variable. Do an oil analysis from time to time to find it before more serious internal damage happens.

GM should have issued a recall on this years ago.

John

Reply to
John Horner

Thanks to all. To update the coolant problem with the 2001 Century with 3.1L engine.with 86000miles. Oil,ATF and antifreeze changed at

5000 50000 and 75000 miles. I took it to the local Buick dealer (all GM except Chev) and it was indeed the intake manifold as most here expected. The Dealer's shop replaced all the gaskets and seals from intake manifold up. changed the oil, changed the antifreeze for a total cost of $677. I think that is pretty reasonable. I also talked to the shop manager about this on going gasket problem. He said they get 3 or 4 Centuries in every week for this problem, but that is about the only thing that goes wrong ( except brakes of course). He believes this new gasket is good for well over a 100000miles. I had thought about doing this job myself, but Hey, its Christmas:-) Thanks to all for their help and interest. Merry Christmas Ernis
Reply to
ernie

The mileage was 95,500.

Reply to
aliceetoo

Just did the 3.4 in my '03 Grand Am and it only has 39,000 miles on it. Did my daughter's '98 Malibu as well with a 3.1 and it has 115,000 on it.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

My bet is about the same. Some percentage will survive a lot longer than others but most will eventually fail. It is a matter of when, not if. Like the crappo plastic plenum problem.

Reply to
<HLS