Does Pontiac Have Anything Interesting Coming Out?

Mal,

I'm not all that thrilled with the looks of the new Commodore - liked the previous generation design much better. However, the SS-V version sure looks interesting. I hope Pontiac imports it - reminds me (in concept) of the Catalina Super-Dutys from the early 60s.

Now when do we get the UTE?

Regards, Bill Bowen Sacramento, CA

"Mal Osborne" wrote:

Reply to
William H. Bowen

Looks are a bit subjective, the VE is a better car than it's predecessor. Pontiac will probably stick a butt-ugly new front on it anyway, as well as a few assorted tacky scoops & fins.

The Commodore was not designed as a sports car, it's a family car. In Australia it has the same market niche as a Taurus or Impala. The Monaro, on which the GTO was based was never a "muscle car", it was the V8 2 door Commodore, kinda regarded in a similar light as a Taurus SHO or Impala SS. Nice car, but not really a GTO. Sticking garish scoops, an ugly front & loud exhaust didn't really help much.

At least the correct wheels are driven, but then most popular large Australian family cars from Ford & GMH are RWD.

There was a "beast" planned, a few HRT 427 Monaros made it off the racetrack & were road registered, before beancounters pulled the plug. Pity, it might have made a credible GTO.

Not sure you will see a ute, the new generation VE ute body has not been made yet, the ones still selling are basically VZs.

Reply to
Mal Osborne