DRL gasoline usage

Forget about reflectors, grills, inners, outers, parking lights, and all

> that. The high beams also function as daytime running lights. When you > take the car out of "park" then drive away, the high beams are illuminated > at low brilliance. The DRL relay (ambient light sensor detecting daylight) > when picked up, places the high beams in series (voltage dropping) to dim > the high beams, that's it. Unless you've done modifications to your > lighting controls ?

You and James are right, the high-beams are used DRL in the Bonneville.

I stepped out of the car and confirmed what you described. Until then, I was just relying on its reflection on the cars ahead of me...

Reply to
Neo

Not a problem...there are so many different implementations out there...seemingly anything is possible. Thanks for following up...! It is much appreciated! It does underscore that even a knowledgeable person such as yourself can be confused about what GM is doing with the lights on their own cars...which really isn't a good thing at all (in my opinion). Imagine the confusion out there in the general population...how scary is that!?!?

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Well, if fuel consumption is the issue, it might be better to disconnect accessories that consume large amounts of engine power like big stereo systems, air conditioning, high beams, auxilliary driving lights (why do people need them in town anyway?), power windows, power seats and power steering. We survived without this stuff before and in the interest of saving billions of gallons of gasoline a year, we should outlaw them now.:-)

Rich B

I'll agree with the big stereo systems. Actually, where I live, you can get a ticket if your stereo system can be heard above ambient noise at a distance exceeding 50 feet...so in essentially the big stereo is already outlawed. Now, how many cops have actually given out tickets for that offense? Probably very few.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

That's because it is a crap law. A person could probably sing and be heard among the ambient sounds at 50 feet. Hell, you could probably hear a cat meow at 50 feet.

Now for a real issue... all these people running straight pipes on Harleys that are simply obnoxious, especially around residential zones at night.

** To email a reply, please remove everything up to and including the underscore in my email reply header.
Reply to
SgtSilicon

I don't write 'em...I just report 'em. :-)

| Now for a real issue... all these people running straight pipes on | Harleys that are simply obnoxious, especially around residential zones | at night.

Yes, we have some of those Harleys as you describe them in the neighborhood. I don't think they get tickets either. Although I disagree that they are any worse then the heavy BOOM...BOOM...BOOM...BOOM base sounds that rattle the house from blocks away (and my house is 1950's solid 10" thick brick and block construction).

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Well, if you go by actual SPL, the bikes are by far the worst. But I know what you mean about the bass thing too.