You all probably are sick of this thread but I thought you might like
to know how the project came out.
Upon closer inspection of the after-market air cleaner, I found an
unused 5/8" hose nipple - pretty obvious but I still missed it the
first time around. I got two new PCV grommets at the local Chevy
dealer. The grommets have a 3/4" hole - course the valve goes in the
driver side. For the passenger side, the local AutoZone has a plastic
elbow ("Help" brand mentioned by Mike Romain) that is 3/4" on one
end and 5/8" on the other - it's even a 45-degree bend which
should fit better than a 90 would. It's listed as a Ford part. A
piece of 5/8" hose to connect to the air cleaner and I'm in
business for under $20, including new valve, hose, and non-vented oil
cap. Pretty simple, but all your posts really helped me understand how
the system is supposed to work and what I needed to do to fix it.
Now I just need to finish stripping the paint off the covers, which is
why I took them off in the first place. Yes, somebody actually painted
nice cast aluminum valve covers - a coat of primer and a coat of
enamel. At least I don't have to take the blame for that one!
Here's a tip - some stuff called Aircraft Remover made by Klean
Strip (disclaimer - it probably causes cancer, impotence, and bad
breath). I found it at Bumper-to-Bumper. Not cheap - $9 for an 18-oz
spray can. But it works way better than the Bix I tried first -
although it still takes a couple of coats and scrubbing with steel
wool. The fins on the covers are polished and I'll buff them up with
progressively finer sandpaper, ending with 1500-grit. By the time
I'm done, I'll have $30 - $40 (and a whole lot of work) in them -
about what a pair of chromed steel covers would cost but I think these
are way cooler.
OK, bring on the wisecracks about Ford parts on a Chevy engine in a
Plymouth coupe - guess that's street rodding!