Eletcrical system goes nuts -- 2000 Buick LeSabre

Help! My parent's 2000 LeSabre has a haunted electrical system. The car has been running well in the city but about 45 minutes into their last highway trip the dashboard went nuts periodically:

First the cruise control died then suddenly the airbag warning light went off, the security system warning light lit and the warning chime was heard. Also, at the same time, the clock display disappeared, the fuel gauge dropped to "empty" and the dash lights flickered. This would then clear itself, the warning lights would extinguish, the clock would come back with the right time and several minutes later the same cycle would repeat. If the car was stopped and shut off it would take about 15 minutes for the cycle to start again. Since then, on short city trips, the car has been fine.

Does anybody have any ideas? My folks live quite a distance away and I'd like to give them some knowledge so that they don't get taken advantage of when they try and get this fixed.

Scott

Reply to
Scott McGinn

It's probably going to be the battery.

Reply to
Steve Mackie

It could be the ignition switch, too much weight on the ignition switch, etc. My advice is to take two paranoia pills and have them take it in and get it checked out professionally before they have an accident.... Guessing here will fix nothing.

Reply to
Woody

If people can't ask questions and expect some probably answer, then why have a group?

Reply to
Al Bundy

Mine 93 did the same thing it was the battery and alternator

Reply to
Tim & Linda

Ya, my '95 did the same thing and it was the battery. I also recall another poster that had the same thing happen and it was his battery as well. That's why my initial response was 'battery.' I would consider putting money on it.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie