Feelings on 99-00 Sevilles

I'm taking a closer look at 99-00 Seville SLS mostly (they are cheaper) but there is a couple of STS in my price range. They seem to be nice cars but I'm wondering will they hold up? And how's fuel economy on that big V8? Any positive or negative comments are welcome.

Reply to
AV

"AV" wrote

Cadillac's are a pretty good car, but expensive to fix when items start going belly up. I've heard that the fuel economy is not that bad...but you have to remember that you have a 275-300 hp engine in those vehicles.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Reply to
Roy G. Bragg

A 1999 or 2000my Seville is going to have the 4.6l Northstar. There are 2 variants of this engine, the STS having the VIN 9 engine, and hence 25 horsepower advantage over the 275 horse Y engine. Both formidable powerplants.

Very nice cars, I work on them daily for mostly maintenance service. However, be advised that there are oil consumption issues with these engines, as well as cold knock issues. Both are related to piston and piston ring concerns, and there are NEW design pistons and rings available to make these problems go away. If the cars that you have been looking at are still under factory warranty, pay close attention to these two issues, and have your dealer put the pistons and rings in if you have a legitimate problem. GM guideline for oil consumption is one quart in 2000 miles.

That may seem like a lot of burning oil, but all of the Northstars burn oil, and always have. It is a byproduct of a 300hp engine that gets 28 mpg highway. You have to sacrifice somewhere.

Aside from this particular engine issue, there aren't many other things that fail regularly on these. Enjoy your new car.

Jerry

Reply to
belowme