found a gem of a car today

It's a 1967 Oldsmobile Delmont 88 with a 425 engine. It's in great shape, straight body. I looked underneath the car, and everything looks in good shape. The inside of the car is in great shape as well. The owner is an elderly lady. The car has 110,000 original miles on it. Everything on the car is original, including the paint. She has a for sale sign on it in her driveway, but it is not in the newspaper. She is asking $2000. Is this a desirable or sought after car to the best of your knowledge? There is not much info on the Internet about it, except for the fact that it's the same year, make and model of the car Ted Kennedy drove off a bridge, killing a young woman. Thanks for your input.

Mezz

Reply to
mezzodock

It all depends on what you want to do with it. It has a good backseat and is great as an amphibian. To drive around in every day is not such a hot idea.

Reply to
Gosi

I don't think taht that was a particularly desirable model, and I suspect that it is a four door. that said, if you like it, and think you might enjoy driving it, what else could you buy for $2K that would be as cool?

My dad had a '67 Cutlass with the 330 for years and I wish I could find another. It had something over 300K miles and frame rust when it finally went to the Big Parking Lot in the Sky though...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

thanks, I think you are probably right about it being a four door, I didn't think to notice when I saw it. Another guy told me that for that age car, they did not have overdrive transmissions, and the engines were usually in need of a rebuilt not far past 100K. I suppose I would give her $500, but that's about it.

Reply to
mezzodock

OD transmission - definitely not. probably has either a "Jetaway" two speed or else a THM400 3-speed. I'm thinking with a 425 it probably would have had the THM400 but don't hold me to that. Still a good strong trans, but definitely no OD, if that is important to you. Keep in mind that 1967 predates the 55 MPH speed limit, so these cars were capable of cruising at 70+ perfectly well, but the engine will be turning what sounds like high RPMs to ears tuned to modern vehicles.

I don't know that I agree with the 100K miles statement; Olds engines were pretty stout, although they did have some minor flaws. Like I said, my dad's Cutlass turned over 300K with only regular maintenance, although the engine was similar the trans in his was definitely the

2-speed. I want to say it was the switch-pitch but it was a LONG time ago. That said, a "little old lady" car might actually have more engine wear than one that was regularly used as it was intended (and properly warmed up on each trip - that's the key, especially with carburetors which tended to run rich when cold.)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Reply to