Fuel pump failure at only 22K?

My 2000 Chevy Lumina (3.1L) suddenly started whining loudly today after a long drive - obviously the fuel pump since it comes from the rear. I can hardly believe the pump would go out after only 22,000 miles. Granted, I bought the car used (from the government -it was a GSA fleet vehicle with only 19K on it), but it otherwise runs great and gets 36mpg and appears to have been well maintained. I always keep the tank full. Maybe just bad luck, but I wonder, could something as simple as a clogged filter cause the pump to whine?? Called around and the part alone is REALLY expensive! Reminds me of buying the Jaguar parts that fit my old 1971 Saab99. I've been looking online for advice, and some guys say the pump could work for years with the whine, while others say replace immediately.

Reply to
longjohnmaniac

I couldnt believe the price on that part. From Autozone it is $340.. Holy moley!

Reply to
<HLS

Replace the fuel filter first. Also check the bottom of the tank for a dent in the area of the pump. Don't replace the pump just because it whines, 99% of GM pumps whine some. Even replacements whine.

Reply to
Steve W.

Thanks, Steve. My brother in law also suggested replacing the fuel filter first. A mild whine would be tolerable, but this is fairly loud.

Reply to
longjohnmaniac

One of the service vehicles for the company I work for has whined for about two years. I probably gets about 30K a year put on it. Hasn't given up yet, although it is very irritating to listen to.

Reply to
Doug Adams

Those **** GM pumps are often really loud, even when brand new. What surprises me is the high replacement cost. Most are pretty inexpensive parts.

Reply to
John Horner

Virtually all GM products have gone with a "fuel pump module" which is fancy talk for a loaded assembly that just drops in. Why, I dunno, but they are very expensive. Trucks are in the neighborhood of $800 Can.

Reply to
Kevin

I would guess that this module cannot be repaired and must be replaced as a unit? And that no aftermarket "fixes" exist yet?

Reply to
<HLS

What fuel pumps are you aware of that are inexpensive? Most average around $200 and up.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Is this something very new Kevin? Different from the pump we've known for the past decade?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

It has been a long time since I have purchased an in-tank GM pump. Last one cost me about a hundred bucks.

Reply to
<HLS

Likewise, my experience has been that they cost between $100 and $200, though I have heard of some models that go upwards of $400. Apparently, there is some newer module design that I must not have encountered yet, that is quite a bit more expensive. I'm interested in finding out what this is all about. I can't imagine how you could modularize a fuel pump any more than it had been.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

The modular units have the pump inside a reservoir and are made in a way that doesn't allow you to replace just the pump itself. The earlier units had the pump in the line and you just pulled the rubber hose off and replaced the pump.

Reply to
Steve W.

Thanks Steve, but I'm still confused by this. Are you saying that there is a different design from the in-tank pump/sender that has been in place for

10 years or so? From what I see what we've all just been calling the fuel pump for so long is the what you and the OP are referring to as a modular fuel pump. Sure does seem to me that he's been quoted quite a high price.
Reply to
Mike Marlow

Yes it is a different style unit. Take a look at

you will see what it looks like. Some of them can be taken apart and the pump replaced IF you can get the pump. Others are welded/glued and don't come apart. The unit in my G-Van is like this and cannot be taken apart to replace the pump. 435.00 for the unit in it.

Reply to
Steve W.

I'm thinking of the in-tank pump, which the standard Delco unit which attached by hose to the end of a sender used to cost under $50.

For example this one: ACDelco Part # EP302

http://198.208.187.182/servlet/com.entigo.acdelcocatalog.servlet.ProcessImageServlet?languagecd=EN&countrycd=US&user=InternetUser&mfgname=ACDELCO&prodlinecd=43&acpartnbr=EP302 Available for $39 from Rockauto.com

John

Reply to
John Horner

This is the monster which the Lumina uses:

http://198.208.187.182/servlet/com.entigo.acdelcocatalog.servlet.ProcessImageServlet?languagecd=EN&countrycd=US&user=InternetUser&mfgname=ACDELCO&prodlinecd=43&acpartnbr=MU220

Reply to
John Horner

Ok - I think I see the point of confusion. This is indeed the fuel pump some of us have been talking about and is indeed the type of pump we've been replacing for the prices I mentioned, for years. Your point, that the actual pump portion is integral with the sender and not serviceable as a component, is true. Your van may well be that costly as I have seen some pumps that were way more expensive than the norm, but typical GM pumps are in the $100-$200 range, or to allow for price differences around the country, generally under $300 at most aftermarket parts stores.

It is worth digging into a bit with these pumps though. I have found scenarios where the direct replacement pump was quite expensive, while another pump designed for the same size tank, but perhaps for a different vehicle model, etc. was 1/2 to 2/3 of that price. I have installed these "incorrect" pumps with absolutely no ill effects over time. You have to watch things such as tank capacity or the gauge might not read correctly, and you have to watch delivery specs, but I have found that in many cases these can be matched up and the vehicle suffers no ill effects from the substitution. Most recently I substituted a pump this way for a Pontiac Montana. The savings was almost 50%.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I'm talking about the in tank pump also John. They are indeed more expensive than the pumps of old, but the prices the OP started this thread announcing were out of line with what these pumps generally cost.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

http://198.208.187.182/servlet/com.entigo.acdelcocatalog.servlet.ProcessImageServlet?languagecd=EN&countrycd=US&user=InternetUser&mfgname=ACDELCO&prodlinecd=43&acpartnbr=MU220>

Wicked bad link John. All I got was a screen full of garbage. Take a look at a couple of the replies I have posted to this thread today (3/28 ~8:00AM) - some additional thoughts and experiences with these types of pumps.

Reply to
Mike Marlow