Fuel pump failure at only 22K?

I had wondered if there were really an engineering improvement with these pumps OR if GM had engineered an improved profit potential by going this route.

Latter seems more probable.

Reply to
<HLS

Unfortunately, it's not just GM. Most manufacturers use this same type of pump and most are about as reliable as GM pumps. Chryslers will give owners more fits than GM's will, owing to a common pick-up problem in their pumps. It's a shame that an otherwise pretty good idea results in such a poor level of reliability and longevity. If one plans to keep a late model vehicle for

100,000 miles, a fuel pump is almost a guaranteed replacement item.
Reply to
Mike Marlow

Reply to
ROY BRAGG

That's remarkable mileage out of an in tank pump Roy. Hats off to ya.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

If you keep clean fuel filters on the car, mileages like these are not unheard of. It's called preventative maintenance.

Reply to
Kevin

I have to agree, preventative maintenance is definately better than waiting until it breaks. I've never had an in-tank fuel pump fail on me and all my cars/trucks are driven in excess of 100K.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Re: Fuel pump failure at only 22K? Group: alt.autos.gm Date: Sat, Apr 28, 2007, 2:31pm (EDT-1) From: snipped-for-privacy@mts.net (Kevin) If you keep clean fuel filters on the car, mileages like these are not unheard of. It's called preventative maintenance. "Mike Marlow" wrote in message news:23f22$4633353d$45289499$ snipped-for-privacy@ALLTEL.NET... "ROY BRAGG" wrote in message news:R3CYh.1306$iR2.237@trnddc05... That may be so, but my 92 Lumina 3.1 has 119,000 miles and still is running on original equipment pump. That's remarkable mileage out of an in tank pump Roy. Hats off to ya.

Reply to
Rich B

Actually, over a hundred thousand on an in-tank pump is quite remarkable. I agree that keeping a clean filter is important, but these pumps are well known for failures well before the inline filter showed any signs of restriction.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I've had experiences on both sides of the argument. I've had pumps go over

200K, and I've had them fail at 40K. I've replaced many - on plenty of different brands, at sub 100K mileage. Never have I replaced one to find a plugged fuel filter - or even a restricted one. It's not all about preventative maintenance on this matter.
Reply to
Mike Marlow

And the worst for failures were inexpensive aftermarket pumps. Carter actually had to redesign their pump due to premature failures. OE pumps seem to last a lot longer.

Reply to
Kevin

I'll certainly agree that for a lot of parts, OE is a far better investment than the aftermarket Kevin. There's a lot of parts that I stick with Genuine GM these days, simply because they last longer and the price is quite competitive. The pumps that failed though were the factory original pump, so that's OE stuff. Fuel pumps and wheel bearings are among the things that it does not pay to take short cuts on though.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Reply to
Kevin

My first Buick lost the pump before 50,000 miles. Case was cracked. It was replaced and the next one went well over a 100,000 miles. I suspect it was from the FLAPS, but dont know for sure as it was done at an independent garage. And, I change filters religiously and that was never a problem.

Reply to
<HLS