GM hedge funds

warning...

GM invested two billion in hedge funds to test the hedge fund market. and now they are considering investing billions more.

their 90 billion pension fund in investments is less than a seven % return on the dollars. which they need to replenish the funds pension outlay.and keep it afloat.

the fund is staring to feel the pinch. because of low interest rates, and market conditions.

but hedge funds are the highest type of risk for any investor, unless they have their own printing press,...

gm management should forget about the hedge fund investing..

those funds are not regulated at all, by any government body.

the commission fees run 2% plus 20% of any profits that may arise.

If Gm thinks they got problems now, wait and see what will happen to the gm pension fund if they start investing in hedge funds...

at the end of the day gm retirees and future retirees if there are any left can kiss their pensions goodbye..

Reply to
Jake

Nice lot of BS here. Proof that GM is betting the farm on very risky investments is where? I don't think you are aware that GM want to continue selling cars, they do NOT want to file Chapter 11, thay DO control the automotive market no matter what your opinion is, they will survive as we know them, the pension fund is safe! What the hell does a Canadian know about it anyway?

Jake wrote:

Reply to
bite_me_48706

Just ask gm were the pension funds are invested then you are in for a surprise...

Reply to
Jake

Yes, GM deals in hedge funds.

James C. Reeves

You must be living on Fantasy Island.

John

Reply to
John Horner

Must be since most of the financial guys that study the books of companies are quite worried. Probably more a denial thing, actually. GM isn't beyond hope. All they need to do is figure out how to pay off ~278 billion dollars in debt with the ~18 billion dollars they have in the bank while loosing an additional 6 billion dollars a year. Should be a piece of cake! ;-)

Reply to
James C. Reeves

James, I am a "financial guy" and I'm puzzled by your debt figure, as well as your 18 billion dollar figure. I just visited GM's site and pulled off their SEC Filings. I'll post their Condensed Balance Sheet for September

30, 2005, below. You will note therein that GM had "Total Debt" of $ 446 Billion at that time. But the most important figure is the company's "Current Debt", which was recorded at $ 74.7Billion. Now if you take a look at the Assets, you will see "Current Assets" of $ 53.8Billion. To this, you have to add the Current Assets of Financing and Insurance Operations, which look like this: Cash & Cash Equivalents $ 21.4Billion Investments in Securities 16.5Billion Finance Receivables - Net 177.0Billion

Loans Held For Sale 17.6Billion Assets Held For Sale 18.7Billion ------------------- Current Assets of $ 251.2Billion Financing & Ins. Ops.

Now James, if we add this figure to the $ 53.8Billion figure above, we find that as at September 30, 2005, GM had Total Current Assets of $ 305Billion, which would quite easily handle their Current Debt, which was $ 74.7 Billion. I fail to see the liquidity crisis you seem to allude to. Even if GM had a temporary liquidity problem at some point, they could raise Billions of dollars quite quickly by leveraging up some of their Fixed Assets, which I'm sure would have substantial value over Book Value. So let's not get out the shovels to bury GM just yet. Her demise is highly exaggerated and the funeral wake is premature.

GENERAL MOTORS CORPORATION AND SUBSIDIARIES

CONDENSED CONSOLIDATED BALANCE SHEETS

(As

restated,

see Note 1)

Sept. 30, Sept.

30, 2005 Dec. 31, 2004

(Unaudited) 2004 (Unaudited)

---------- -------- ----------

ASSETS (dollars in millions)

Cash and cash equivalents $35,089 $35,993 $37,589

Marketable securities 18,012 21,737

21,034

------ ------ ------

Total cash and marketable securities 53,101 57,730

58,623

Finance receivables - net 177,082 199,600

193,755

Loans held for sale 17,581 19,934

20,116

Accounts and notes receivable (less allowances) 16,285 21,236

17,379

Inventories (less allowances) (Note 4) 14,175 12,247

12,544

Assets held for sale (Note 1) 18,748 - -

Deferred income taxes 28,499 26,241

27,219

Net equipment on operating leases (less

accumulated depreciation) 37,972 34,214

33,016

Equity in net assets of nonconsolidated

affiliates 4,260 6,776

6,637

Property - net 39,616 39,020

37,432

Intangible assets - net (Note 5) 4,799 4,925

4,732

Other assets 56,993 57,680

57,182

------- ------- -------

Total assets $469,111 $479,603 $468,635

======= ======= =======

LIABILITIES AND STOCKHOLDERS' EQUITY

Accounts payable (principally trade) $29,886 $28,830 $26,404

Notes and loans payable 278,232 300,279

290,920

Liabilities related to assets held for sale

(Note 1) 12,319 - -

Postretirement benefits other than pensions 32,101 28,111

31,948

Pensions 9,982 9,455

7,824

Deferred income taxes 6,718 7,078

6,134

Accrued expenses and other liabilities 76,620 77,727

77,417

------- ------- -------

Total liabilities 445,858 451,480

440,647

Minority interests 829 397

369

Stockholders' equity

$1-2/3 par value common stock (outstanding,

565,504,852; 565,132,021; and 564,804,464 shares) 943 942 941

Capital surplus (principally additional

paid-in capital 15,281 15,241

15,209

Retained earnings 9,754 14,428

14,804

------ ------ ------

Subtotal 25,978 30,611

30,954

Accumulated foreign currency translation

adjustments (1,630) (1,194) (1,678)

Net unrealized gains on derivatives 406 589

215

Net unrealized gains on securities 742 751

610

Minimum pension liability adjustment (3,072) (3,031) (2,482)

------- ------- -------

Accumulated other comprehensive loss (3,554) (2,885) (3,335)

------- ------- -------

Total stockholders' equity 22,424 27,726

27,619

------- ------- -------

Total liabilities and stockholders' equity $469,111 $479,603 $468,635

======= ======= =======

Reference should be made to the notes to condensed consolidated financial

statements.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

GENERAL MOTORS CORPORATION AND SUBSIDIARIES

SUPPLEMENTAL INFORMATION TO THE CONDENSED CONSOLIDATED BALANCE SHEETS

(As

restated,

see Note 1)

Sept. 30, Sept.

30, 2005 Dec. 31, 2004

(Unaudited) 2004 (Unaudited)

---------- -------- ----------

ASSETS (dollars in millions)

Automotive and Other Operations

Cash and cash equivalents $13,695 $13,148 $12,984

Marketable securities 1,437 6,655

7,969

------ ------ ------

Total cash and marketable securities 15,132 19,803

20,953

Accounts and notes receivable (less allowances) 7,800 6,713

6,542

Inventories (less allowances) (Note 4) 13,755 11,717

12,035

Net equipment on operating leases (less

accumulated depreciation) 7,302 6,488

6,764

Deferred income taxes and other current assets 9,859 10,794

10,813

------ ------ ------

Total current assets 53,848 55,515

57,107

Equity in net assets of nonconsolidated

affiliates 4,260 6,776

6,637

Property - net 37,860 37,170

35,583

Intangible assets - net (Note 5) 1,674 1,599

1,445

Deferred income taxes 20,343 17,399

18,086

Other assets 41,101 40,844

41,251

------- ------- -------

Total Automotive and Other Operations assets 159,086 159,303

160,109

Financing and Insurance Operations

Cash and cash equivalents 21,394 22,845

24,605

Investments in securities 16,575 15,082

13,065

Finance receivables - net 177,082 199,600

193,755

Loans held for sale 17,581 19,934

20,116

Assets held for sale (Note 1) 18,748 - -

Net equipment on operating leases (less

accumulated depreciation) 30,670 27,726

26,252

Other assets 27,975 35,113

30,733

Net receivable from Automotive and Other

Operations 3,399 2,426

2,548

------- ------- -------

Total Financing and Insurance Operations

assets 313,424 322,726

311,074

------- ------- -------

Total assets $472,510 $482,029 $471,183

======= ======= =======

LIABILITIES AND STOCKHOLDERS' EQUITY

Automotive and Other Operations

Accounts payable (principally trade) $26,784 $24,257 $23,287

Loans payable 1,509 2,062

2,540

Accrued expenses 43,040 46,147

45,420

Net payable to Financing and Insurance

Operations 3,399 2,426

2,548

------ ------ ------

Total current liabilities 74,732 74,892

73,795

Long-term debt 30,929 30,460

30,065

Postretirement benefits other than pensions 27,380 23,406

27,996

Pensions 9,891 9,371

7,755

Other liabilities and deferred income taxes 15,764 15,657

15,402

------- ------- -------

Total Automotive and Other Operations

liabilities 158,696 153,786

155,013

Financing and Insurance Operations

Accounts payable 3,102 4,573

3,117

Liabilities related to assets held for sale

(Note 1) 12,319 - -

Debt 245,794 267,757

258,315

Other liabilities and deferred income taxes 29,346 27,790

26,750

------- ------- -------

Total Financing and Insurance Operations

liabilities 290,561 300,120

288,182

------- ------- -------

Total liabilities 449,257 453,906

443,195

Minority interests 829 397

369

Total stockholders' equity 22,424 27,726

27,619

------- ------- -------

Total liabilities and stockholders' equity $472,510 $482,029 $471,183

======= ======= =======

The above Supplemental Information is intended to facilitate analysis of General

Motors Corporation's businesses: (1) Automotive and Other Operations; and (2)

Financing and Insurance Operations.

Reference should be made to the notes to condensed consolidated financial

statements.

Reply to
StingRay

I regret that the SEC filings of GM's Balance Sheet did not appear as they did on my screen. If you'd like to see them, they are at this address:

StingRay

StingRay Thank you for showing these bigoted idiots the facts regarding General Motors. Is GM in some trouble? For sure! Can they recover? For sure. Now Delphi is a horse of a different color. Delphi and the UAW are in for a tough time of it.

NOYK in Florida Over 10,000 days at GMPT/GMED/CPC/Chevrolet/Central Foundry Divisions

Reply to
No One You Know

"No One You Know" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

There seems to be a lot of fear mongering going on regarding GM's financial status. Part of the problem is that a lot of people just seem to like to see big business fail. Others just naievely believe whatever they read from the people dissemminating the vicious propaganda and just jump on the fear bandwagon. And others just haven't taken the time to look at GM's actual financial statements, or if they have read GM's statements, they just don't understand them. We also have to remember that financial statements are merely a snapshot in time of a company's well-being and that company's like GM often have considerable hidden worth in depreciated assets - worth that isn't even reflected on the Balance Sheet. Yes, GM is presently losing money. Can they sustain these losses for a reasonable period of time? Yes. Are they taking firm action to mitigate these losses and return to a profitable footing? Yes. Will GM be profitable again before it's too late? Definitely. Will GM be operating successfully long after we're all dead and gone? Without a doubt. But they have a lot of hard work, in the short term, ahead of them. A lot of hard decisions, such as plant closings, have to be made and followed through on. How can we help them? By providing feedback whenever the opportunity arises and by buying GM product. We're all subjective in our taste for our vehicles and we're all passionate about them. And we're all in this GM NewsGroup for a reason - there is some GM product that we are or have been passionate about and we are all anxious to see GM return to strong operating results, so we can continue buying GM for many years to come.

Reply to
StingRay

If that's so they are being very risky with the pension fund. I'm an active investor and avoid the risky hedge funds, which have had a mixed record.

Reply to
Spam Hater