$1300 for a clutch??

Anyone replace a clutch on a 2.0L engine A3? What did you pay?

Thanks,

Reply to
nospam

The clutch parts are around $210 to $259 and the rest depends on what your time is worth or whoever is raping your wallet. It's all relative.

Reply to
Peter Parker

what would a reasonable charge be from a shop???? is it a 30 minute job? a 10 hour job? a 1 month job???

Reply to
nospam

If you're flywheel needs replacement or resurfacing (most likely), book time is 6 hours labor. Every shop has a different labor rate so check around for someplace reputable.

Jason in Albuquerque

Reply to
Lantrip

What's the average going rate in Canada?

: The clutch parts are around $210 to $259 and the rest depends on what : your time is worth or whoever is raping your wallet. It's all = relative. :=20

Reply to
Sam

Sorry. I don't know. however another poster said the time rate which included a flywheel job is 6 hours.

Reply to
Peter Parker

Thanks Jason. For my education, what exactly is a flywheel?

Reply to
nospam

this was a Chicago quote.

Reply to
nospam

Add a Haynes as a companion. (Besides they cost less.)

Forget about the Chilton unless you want to chock the wheels.

You need to pull one axle, disconnecting the CV joint from the transaxle, drop said transaxle and remove the flywheel exposing the clutch disk and pressure plate.

Install is the reverse of removal, as they say, but clean threads, blue locktite, new fasteners (I haven't ever resurfaced brake rotors or flywheels- if it's that bad replace in), and quality parts are key.

For 1300 buckeroonies I would think you'd be getting a bunch of other things done like new seals, new timing belt, I mean c'mon.

That is a lot of scratch.

TBerk

Nope, that quote was just for a new clutch. Perhaps a complete clutch job but nothing like a timing belt. I still dont know if its a good price.

Reply to
nospam

The flywheel is the drive plate/wheel bolted to the end of the engine's crankshaft. The clutch assembly is bolted to the flywheel (in most cases) and serves to connect or disconnect the engine and transmission (simply stated).

I can't remember what model car you have. Some of the late model VWs have dual mass flywheels that are sold complete - flywheel & clutch components - that cost around $1000 us at the dealer.

Jason in Albuquerque

Reply to
Lantrip

This site is pretty cool, check out the transmission one, too :)

kaboomie

Reply to
kaboom

I had asked at the dealer a while back and they quoted $800 or $900. This motivated me to do the job myself. I think the clutch/pressure plate parts were around $350. This is Canadian dollars.

I suggest $1300 is too much, even at the dealer. Depending where you are, you may consider phoning other places away from a big metro area. For instance, near my brothers farm in Walkerton, ON (before the tainted water), Easthill VW charges actual time (not book time) and had his transmission out in 20 minutes flat. You sure don't mind paying shop rate when its for someone who hussles along.

I that was >

Reply to
Rick De Visser