GM Quick-Connect Fitting for Fuel Filter

I changed the fuel filter on my 2001 Pontiac Montana. When I removed the inlet hose (that has a quick-connect fitting) a small black sleeve fell out of the hose. I tried to replace it when re-connecting the new fuel filter, but it wouldn't fit so I left it out. There is no leaks. I guess that it is not required, but can someone tell me what the sleeve was for?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Reply to
crayh50

I can't answer your question, but the exact same thing happened to me yesterday, on the EXACT same van. I guess lot's of people were doing fuel filter changes on 2001 Montana's that day. :)

Reply to
80 Knight

Was it the lock mechanism for the joint? That should have come new on the filter if I remember correctly, so that explains why you see no leaks. The new one may have been white or clear.

Since it's Montana day, I'll throw one your way for future reference. The Montana has a mid-ship connector for the fuel pump and fuel guage located on the driver's side just behind the driver's seat. This connector collects moisture and develops oxide on the pins, eventually corroding through the female pins of the connector. A quick visual inspection of the connector appears to reveal no problems with the connector and it requires a closer inspection to see the failed pin.

The symptoms of the connector problem will either be the vehicle stalling and not restarting - out of fuel symptoms, or erratic fuel guage operation. The four wires in the connector are fuel guage and ground, and fuel pump and ground, so you can immediately see the cause/effect at work here.

This mid-ship connector can be a irksome problem spot since it takes a close inspection to see failed pins inside the connector. So.... figured I'd pass it on since after all - it seems to be Montana day.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

There was no new lock mechanism/retainer clip for the inlet side with the new filter. I just reused the old retainer clip from the old fuel filter.

Thanks for the heads-up on the fuel guage/pump problem.

I had a similar problem and don't know if it is related. A couple of years ago, my fuel guage was swinging wildly from full to empty. Fortunately, I got this fixed under warranty. I believe there was a technical bulletin on this a few years ago.

Thanks for your help and have a great day!

Mike Marlow wrote:

Reply to
crayh50

It looked like a small washer, made of plastic. I don't remember where it came from. You are probably right that the new filter came with one.

Thanks for the info Mike! My Montana has around 205,000 KM's (around 127,000 Miles), so the info is much appreciated.

Reply to
80 Knight