Greasing Yoke

Greetings,

I read on one of these newsgroups about someone who had a minor problem with feeling a "bump" either on coming to a complete stop or just taking off from a stop. They claimed the problem was in the driveline and not the brakes, and that it was fixed when their dealer greased a yoke on their driveline. I have the same issue with my '04 Chevy 2500HD with the Duramax/Allison and would like to know if anyone can tell me what to check or how to grease this yoke (and which one it is) so I can do it myself. I don't always have the ability to send my truck to the dealer because I'm currently working 8-5 and can't be without it.

Thanks - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Race

Hopefully Ian (Shiden Kai) will read this and chime in. The problem you describe is common on late 80's - 2002/3, but I'm not sure if it was still present on the 04's. IIRC there is a TSB out on driveline clunk for the 4WD trucks stating that the noise is normal and just caused by some play in the various components.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

It is a simple matter of pulling out the driveshaft and applying the lubricant to the splined area inside the front yoke where it slides on the transmission tailshaft.

The problem is that GM has a "special lubricant" that must be used. I heard that it cost about $200 a can but I never checked the actual cost. I was given a can to use as a GM tech in a dealership. I can provide you with the part number only... (p#12345718).. if you can get your hands on some of this, you will find that it is a very light but thick, high temp, light blue colored grease. I think the lightness of it is the key. I have never seen anything else like it.

I did find it to work well on Genie garage door openers though ;-)

Reply to
Derf McKensy

It's $38.00 a can at the GM stealer.

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

Sounds like blue hi temp wheelbearing grease made by Kendall. Mark

Reply to
Mark

My 2000 Silverado 1500 Z-71 EXt Cab 5.3 LT has the 'sticking' Drive shaft

yoke problem....

1) the Current GM Fix is the use of a Plated GM yoke for $125 each... 2) Or pull the Yoke every 18 months & use special GM grease.... 3) Buy the 4x4 Service Package at GM owned Chev Dealers for $150 and get all the 4x4 items 'spruced up'.

I easily notice the feeling of a Totally Freed up Chevy suspension and drive line in Spg/Summer/and Fall after the Yoke is Serviced!!! I wish the Truck always felt that way.... Limber rear end...

Reply to
Dennis Mayer