Heated WW Fluid 06 Buick

Here's a new one on me. Last night an 06 Buick Lucerne commercial was shown and it was touting its Heated Windshield Washer Fluid a new feature for 2006. A warm 140 degree burst of windshield washer fluid is supposed to immediately clear off ice & snow from your windshield.

--- questions ---

How is the WW fluid heated, is it by a heating element in the bottle?

Does it take time for it to heat up or is the WW Fluid heated at all times and at a 140 degrees when you start the car up in the morning ?

Wouldn't flooding the windshield with warm water in really cold weather cause it to steam / fog up ?

Harryface

05 Park Avenue, 32,672 91 Bonneville LE 304,778
Reply to
Harry Face

Good concern, Harry Face; my 1st concern was the danger of cracking the iced windshield--esp. causing a pre-existing chip to *run*. Certainly GM determined 140 degrees was a safe temperature??? s

Reply to
sdlomi2

I have never seen one in a car before, but just recently Canadian Tire started selling a device that you install in your car, and it warms the washer fluid up to 60C when you first start the car. Here is what there site says about it:

Helps keep windshield clean all year round Quickly heats windshield washer fluid to 60°C when the vehicle is started HotWash works with existing windshield washer fluid control Quickly removes ice, frost and snow without scraping In warmer months, HotWash is more effective at removing dirt, bugs and road grime from windshield Easy to install; no special tools required

It sells for $59.99 (Canadian) and was on sale for $39.99 (Canadian) when it first came out a month or so ago. Sounds like a neat little gadget to me, but time will tell if it works any good.

Here's the link:

80 Knight

Wouldn't it be fairly trivial to make a little heat exchanger that would go in one of the heater hoses? Or even just spiral wrap the WW hose around a heater hose a couple times?

nate

Reply to
N8N

I would imagine many people could rig up some sort of device that could do this. The question is will it do it in the same time, at the same temperature, be safe, and of course, does anyone actually want this? I mean, sure it looks neat, but I do not know anyone who has bought one from CT, and I know a lot of people who shop and work there.

Reply to
80 Knight

Wouldn't it be fairly trivial to make a little heat exchanger that would go in one of the heater hoses? Or even just spiral wrap the WW hose around a heater hose a couple times?

nate Nate, sure looks like one could wind, spirally, a small copper tube, carrying the solvent from the reservoir, around a heater hose and connect it to the solvent nozzles and achieve some *degree* of success. May not be hot soon enough, but given time, the hose gets plenty hot to burn hands. BTW, 80 Knight, that is an interesting device. s

Reply to
sdlomi2

Here's a link to an article on the heated washer fluid feature.

Silver Surfer

Surfer & Knight

Those were informative links thanks. Now people can start saying why didn't they think of that 20 years ago?

LOL

Harryface

05 Park Avenue, 32,672 91 Bonneville LE 304,778
Reply to
Harry Face

We might know the answer to your question in 2-3 years when windshields start cracking from several "cycles" of "thermal shock". But, we'll see. From an initial look, it seems like a good idea. Hopefully GM tested this thoroughly over years worth of simulation.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Just like the amazing fold flat front passenger seat in the Malibu and Grand Prix. Funny thing is, my brother's 36 year old Grand Prix has the same thing. I guess GM forgot about it for about 30 years.

What will be the next big "new" thing, quarter windows that roll down?

Reply to
Dennis Smith

At first look, "heated windshield washer fluid" sounds excessive.

The best improvement BUICK made in that area was the ONE GALLON fluid reservoir.

On the other hand, my BUICK came with many features that I wouldn't have ordered; Automatic headlights Auto door locks Electric windows Cruise Control. Remote door lock/unlock

But now, I can't imagine driving a car without those features.

If I would grouse about one thing, it'd be "the hundred-button radio" It takes a co-pilot to run the damn thing.

Reply to
Anonymous

Actually it has been around for a while. Mercedes has it on some vehicles. Works just fine.

Reply to
Steve W.

I had a plastic coil "kit" thing that I bought/installed on a '71 Ford Pinto's radiator hose more than 30 years ago. The WW fluid heater worked OK, once the engine got hot enough for the thermostat to open; until then though, it was just cold WW fluid. An electric WW fluid heater would be a definite improvement.

Reply to
Sharon K.Cooke

European cars have been offering this sort of thing for some years. While they may vary a bit in design, I believe that, on one type at least, a 12 v electrical heating element is used to heat the fluid quickly as it comes from the reservoir. I could be mistaken but I believe that is the way they work. It is hot on demand, not constantly maintained hot.

Dont know how Lucerne is doing it.

Unfortunately, Buick has dropped the LeSabre, which leaves me wanting a better car than the LaCross and not being willing to pay $40,000 for a Lucerne.

Toyota, Honda, or VW...my next car will bear one of those logos.

Reply to
<HLS

A Lucerne V6 costs nowhere near $40,000. Start around $15,000 south of that figure.

GRL

GRL wrote A Lucerne v6 cost nowere near $40,000 Start around $15,000 south of that figure.

You better head a ways north of that $15,000 figure. According to your Edmonds link you posted the Lucerne MSRP is 26,265 to $35,265 no where near $15,000 as you mentioned.

Harryface

05 Park Avenue, 32,672 91 Bonneville LE 304,883
Reply to
Harry Face

Reply to
Mike Levy

Harry Face - your harr is getting in your eyes. He said 15K south of 40K, not 15K.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Mike,

I don't understand that " south " talk, were from the north. Now I know what HLS meant.

There hasn't been any hair in my eyes in 16 years.

Harryface

05 Park Avenue, 32,672 91 Bonneville LE 304,883
Reply to
Harry Face

Actually, I have priced them. The actual prices I have seen seem to start around $29,000 and if you load them, they will go up to about $40,000.

If you could really get one at $25,000 (which I dont think you can) it might be worth a look.

Reply to
<HLS