Heater control problem '07 Cavalier

I think I have tested and isolated the problem, but I thought I would verify before I go out and buy parts.

Several months ago, my fan speed on my heater control lost the second from lowest setting. Basically, low and second from low would operate the heater(A/C) blower at the same speed. The third and high settings worked as expected. This past weekend, the third setting now operates at the same speed as the bottom two and only the highest setting is different.

I went under the passenger side of the dash and pulled the connected from the lower motor and the blower resistor.

There is power going to the blower motor at all four fan settings. When the switch is set to high, there is no power at any of the four terminals on the blower resistor connector (not the resistor itself).

At the three lower settings, power is present at the same single terminal of the four. It is one of the central terminals. Essentially, the switch does not seem to have any effect until it is set to high.

It seems a reasonable conclusion that the switch or the associated wiring is faulty. I plan to replace the switch.

Am I on the right track or should I be looking to something else first? Reply by email and to the group if you don't mind.

Thanks,

Jason

Reply to
Jason Hazelton

Power is applied to the fan motor and the fan motor is grounded through the resistor (or fan switch if on high). So, if the fan motor is plugged in, you should probably have the power on the same terminal no matter where the switch is set, but the ground should move from terminal to terminal among the other three as the switch is moved.

Reply to
hyundaitech

You are absolutely correct. I tried changing the resistor first, since it is a cheap part and easy to change and the problem is solved.

Thanks,

Jason

Reply to
Jason Hazelton

I don't know about anyone else, and I am no genius in this field....BUT I have a hard time believing a guy who's handle is "hyundaitech" answering questions about an '07 Cavalier......that is probably only wet ink on the drawing board.....

Now where did I put that nickle bag......(YES I know he meant 97 Cavalier but I had to poke fun)

hyundaitech: It seems you got some knowledge so I am not knocking that at all...got skills; use them.....but the name has GOT to go!!! LOL

PS: you answered my post about the 2000 Impala problem saying it was an ignition switch......not so, this time. So that's why I'm picking at ya

Eightupman

Reply to
Eightupman

Maybe Hyundaitech works at Hyundai dealership and posts on a Hyundai news group. His name doesn't bother me. Perdy hard to corn-fuse(confuse) it with someone else. Unlike some other posters on here that have poster names that are similar.

Something that people don't realize. Giving someone tech support for a car over the net, or over the phone isn't simple. The odds of being wrong are high. It could be any number of things in most cases. Yet people here expect a 100% accurate answer. Even the best experts under these circumstances will be wrong more so then they would if they had the car in their hands. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Oh I know....was just in a mood to pick and picked hyundaitech. I respect anyone with halfway decent info. Your right...it is hard to diagnose "my car does click rah woo woo when I step on the gas" over the net. Info may never be 100% but it gets ya thinking!

Reply to
Eightupman