Help - 3T40 Converter Seal Installation

Having problems installing the Coated seal from GM on my 3T40. I have the GM seal installation tool and have tried 3 times to install these seals and they just won't go in straight. They keep cocking in the bore and won't seat flush. I have checked the bore for burrs and measured it with my digital caliper and it's perfect.

I'm about ready to clean this coating off and use my old method of using Permatex non-harding sealer. It appears this rubberized coating, which adds .003" to the OD, is acting like a brake.

I checked the Chicago-Rawhide site and they say to wipe the OD of these coated seals with ATF to ease installation.

Is this true? or is there some other trick to installing it?

Any help from you AT guru's would be appreciated.

Thank You.

Reply to
John Doe

I had a simmular problem with a coated seal for the front pump on a TH350. Which is normially rather easy to install seals in.

What I did, was to get out 2 body hammers with round heads. Then I wrapped the heads with electrical tape. This was done so I wouldn't marr the coating.

Once I pressed the seal in by hand, as hard as I could. I would tap with both hammers 180 degrees apart. Rotating my tap points by 90 degrees after 3 taps.

Once I had the seal started I used a piece of PCV pipe with a large fiber washer to finsh seating the seal. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig