High idle revs in cold weather

Hi all.

I have a 92 Tracker, and since the really cold weather arrived a few weeks ago, it has been revving very high (around 2500 RPM as opposed to around 1000 RPM usually) when I first start the vehicle. The high revs continues for some time afterwards, the colder it is the longer it seems to last. Any ideas as to why and how I can correct it?

I have also found my gas mileage has dropped significantly (around 15% less than I got before the cold snap) in the same period .

What could cause this to happen? Could the two be related? Any help greatly appreciated. Ian

Reply to
zippy

I think it's normal due to the weather... The car will idle high until it warms up and then it goes down to normal.

Reply to
Rex

cold weather also kills your mileage

Reply to
WhyDoYouAsk

For more than one reason. Gasoline in the winter is a different formulation than summer gasoline. I believe alcohols are added to help emissions and cold starts. Alcohol will give you fewer BTU's per unit than gasoline. So you'll get worse mileage.

Plus it takes the engine longer to warm up out of open loop mode when it's cold. And when it does go to closed loop it has to put in extra fuel for the denser cooler air to burn properly.

Reply to
Clem