ignition coil noise

Is it normal for an ignition coil to make noise (and if you put your finger on the casing, you can feel something in sync with the noise)? The noise appears to occur on every spark. Is this normal or would the coil be developing a short? Everything seems to be fine but I just noticed this noise recently.

1993 GMC Jimmy w/ 4.3 L "W" series engine.
Reply to
Conan Ford

It is not unusual for you to be able to feel the charging and collapsing of the coils magnet field when you touch it but depending on the sound you are hearing, it might not be normal. What does it sound like?

Reply to
SnoMan

SnoMan wrote in news:1_672674_ snipped-for-privacy@autoforumz.com:

Like an air compressor. Not as loud, mind you, but loud enough that I can hear it standing next to the car with the hood closed.

Reply to
Conan Ford