Impala vs. Accord?

The reason the cheapest accord is 17 grand is because it is a honda and it has a honda badge. If you want my opinion i would buy the impala because all i buy is gm. Is the honda a 2003. If it is still jump on the impala. The SS are nice too.

Reply to
Ray

Uhhh, no kidding Steve. You need to be smart enough to figure when people say that, what it means is that it is their opinion that such and such is over priced. Just as what you said is a given, so is the understanding that it is offered as individual opinion. And since this is a forum for expressing opinions (among other things), it makes sense to see it here.

Reply to
SgtSilicon

Buy a Monte Carlo SS, they look better then the Impala!

Reply to
Paradox

How has yours held up? I remember when you got it.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

Reply to
ROY BRAGG

Reply to
ROY BRAGG

For one thing, GM part prices from the stealership are outrageous. But then again, I wouldn't really be able to tell you because the only parts I've replaced on our 14 year old Honda was a calliper, a power steering pipe and the usual maintenance items. While on our 11 year old Monte Carlo, I've replaced pretty well everything. I don't think there is one part I didn't take off that car.

10 year maintenance costs is a good thing to look at, but even if the maintenance is double that of a GM, does that make up for the repair costs? Next time I'm at the Honda Stealership I'll have a look at the "menu," see what the prices are.

As for insurance, I couldn't tell you. I was paying $1600/year for the '95 Monte and when I got the '06 Civic my premium went to $1100. I even changed the liability to $2 million up from $1 million. But they were two different cars. I know the Mazda3, Toy Corolla and Civic Sedan premiums were all within $20 of each other, but could tell you about the Cobalt and Ion because they dropped off the radar after the test drives.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

I'll have to call you on this Roy. I've never seen any car in the class of the Impala that will smoke the tires - especially with TC on. Even with TC off. Spin them a bit - maybe. Some will. Smoke them? Nope. You'd have to show me pictures of your 2000 smoking the tires before I'd believe it. For those cars that can do it, power braking does not count. That's no sign of performance.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

As would be my expectation Roy. I've never owned one, so I don't have any first hand experience with the Impala, but my buddy is about to have one ordered as a company car. He's pretty abusive (under certain definitions of the word) of a car, so it will be interesting to see how it holds up under him.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

You've got to be kidding about the Sebring. I have owned Chrysler products only but the Sebring/Stratus are only sold on the deal and mostly to rental fleets. The Impala is not my favorite as I dislike low seats in sedans. I have not been in an Accord for a few years.

Reply to
Dave

I wonder if it's not a common Dealership trait.

My Cuz took her Toyota to the dealer for its scheduled maintenance checkup. It cost her $600 "ransom" to get out !

I got a $430 brake job from my BUICK dealer. ( no doubt, the "platinum" service ) I won't be giong back there either.

Reply to
Anonymous

If it has the 3800 II engine, you can bet good money she will get up and go. Smoke the tires? Probably not, but my '96 Bonnie with the regular 3800 II squealed them all the way up the road, and my new '96 Bonnie SSEi with the supercharged 3800 II will squeal them all the way to another town. Even with the traction control on. And that, my good Sir, is a fact. :)

Reply to
80 Knight

You mean th Ion with the Honda engine?

mike hunt

. I know the Mazda3, Toy Corolla and Civic Sedan premiums were all

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Even a 4 cy FWD car can spin the tires as the weigh shift to the rear My neighbors kid does it all the time with his midget Echo LOL

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

The fleet service company, I once owned, serviced NY State Police Impalas. Many of them had over 200K on the clock and were still running fine. Other police departments use them as well, but nothing holds up as well as the Ford Interceptor ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Very common. Aside from free needed warranty service, none of my cars have ever been to a dealer.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Um, no. Last time I checked, the only engine GM used from Honda was in the Vue.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

These are awesome sites by the way, autos.msn!

The 2006 Best & Worst edition of CR has this to say of the Impala:

The Impala got its first freshening since its debut in 2000, with updated engines and significantly improved interior fit and finish. The

3.9-liter V6 delivers responsive performance and manages 20 mpg overall, but sounds coarse. The optional 5.3-liter V8 is quick but spins the front tires too easily. Handling is sound, but body lean is noticeable. The ride is absorbent but unsettled. The cabin is fairly quiet, but wind noise is pronounced on the highway. Controls are easy to use. The front seats are comfortable; the rear seat is unimpressive for such a large car. Head protecting curtain air bags are standard. Crash-test results are very good.

The Accord:

The Accord V6 is our top-rated family sedan. It has fairly agile handling, and the ride is steady and compliant. Inside the car the Accord is roomy, quiet and refined, although some road noise is noticeable. A telescoping steering column allows drivers to find an ideal position. The automatic shifts very smoothly and responsively. The four-cylinder engine is smoother than many V6s. Side and curtain air bags are standard. The V6 model is very quick and relatively fuel efficient. V6 models also get standard stability control for 2006. The V6 hybrid version is even quicker and gets 25 mpg overall, just one mpg better than the four-cylinder, which may not justify its $30,000 price tag. Crash-test results are impressive.

************

I personally have always sought out the CR opinions, though they have been very favorable to Japanese cars, and pretty tough on American. So if they are saying pretty good things about American cars now, then I would tend to respect that. But as I haven't owned anything but crappy old cars, and driven very few newer ones, I really haven't a clue.

I just can't stomach spending over 10k on a car! I'm cheap! I'd rather save my money so I can roll around in it at night! Or at least put it in a bank or Mutual Fund!

Anyhoo, I guess the last week or so I have turned from one of those 'Japanese cars are the only ones to buy and all American cars pretty much suck' to 'Hondas have issues too, and even though the American companies are having issues their cars, some of them anyway, are pretty darn nice'.

I will try not to be biased against American cars, or Japanese, but to me it's got to be comfortable, safe, reliable, pretty cheap and look a little cool (no VW bug for me, been driving a woosy car for 4 years).

So, with my Most and Least reliable cars guide in my hand, I will shop some more and with the American market reopened, I have a chance of spending less than 10k!

Thanks Impy

Reply to
Impy

Sounds.... coarse? What does that mean? Subjective.

Quick? Too easily? Again, opinion. What is the 1/4 mile time? Zero to 60? If their whole business is to RATE things, then they should be actually measuring whenever possible. And quickness is possible to measure.

Opinion again. Granted, handling might be harder to measure but actually can be if ya try much at all.

That is completely meaningless to me. Maybe what absorbs or unsettles me is not what is what happens with this car, or maybe it is. Who knows.

Very easily measured. I find CRs "rating" method to be worse than amateur.

More opinion. Some opinion is okay but it's best explained.

Wow! An actual FACT.

Fact if the "good" is the actual crash test rating. Opinion if "good" is CR's wording.

Factual. It has a V6 engine, and is CR's top rated sedan.

Didn't take long to get into bullshit land again though did it?

How roomy? How quiet/noisy? Both of these traits are measurable. Measure it. Publish it. Do it for all the cars you rate.

Telescoping fact.... ideal position opinion. But at least it's an opinion which is explained.

As I expect almost every modern tranny does.

No facts here at all. Just hype.

A wee bit more facts.

As said before.... why not actually MEASURE the quickness? Perhaps real numbers do not allow you to paint things in such a favorable light as compared to others as using subjective touchy feely words do. It's funny that both cars get the same "very good" rating symbol for acceleration, the Honda also gets the phrase "very quick" to describe it's quickness with no downside, the Chevy gets a descriptive phrase of merely "is quick" with a downside mentioned immediately with it. I say it's funny because, they Chevy is for sure quicker than the Honda even with the V6, and with all doubt removed for the V8 version. Yet the CRs wording of this trait most definitely favors the Honda. Strange that, since it is the opposite of the TRUTH. Makes me question the either the integrity/objectiveness of CR, the competency of their ratings or both.

Numbers, please. Very measurable once again substituting subjective mumbo jumbo.

Another rare fact.

Mix bag of fact and subjectiveness.

This is a good example why I think CR is unworthy of much of the respect they get.

Reply to
SgtSilicon

That is a real thinking man's analysis.

Reply to