Looking For Proper Name of a Sensor.....

On a Saturn SL1. Is it a "throttle position sensor?"

Thanks,

John

Reply to
John

If that's the sensor you are talking about.

Reply to
Steve Mackie

I hope so. I asked a friend about my car, and he said it could be that. So I was asking to make sure I had the name correct when I get a quote for the cost.

John

Reply to
John

Better thing to do would be to post your problem and symptoms here. We can help, there is no point in replacing parts that don't need to be replaced. Is your check engine light on? Did you scan the computer for DTCs?

Also remember to always post year/make/model/engine/mileage with posts.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

I did do that on the 30th of September, but did not get a single reply. BTW the service light comes on intermittently. Here's my post from the

30th:

****I have a 96 Saturn SL-1 (5 speed). I had a tune-up done in July........plugs, wires, filters, new fuel pump. It's been running real crappy for the last couple of weeks. Idle is racing up to 2000 rmp and as high as 2800, and it's been jerky when taking off and sometimes when you are just putting along, almost like a hiccup. A real pain. So I take it in and they find a vacuum hose that was wore right through. He figured that would be it. And of course when he took it for a ride after, it didn't act up. Well it still is. Any suggestions as to what it could be? A friend suggested that it might be a coil pack. I'd like to hear from any other Saturn owners or anyone in the know about what my car is doing. BTW, they checked the work that they had done in July, and the plugs were not fouled. Also........wait for it........there are 345,000 kms on it. Thanks to all responders in advance as I'll be away from my computer till Monday. have a good weekend.

Thanks,

John

Reply to
John

I see.

Ya, I remember replying to this one:

"First thing I would do is stick a vacuum guage on it and see what it's doing. That will tell you alot."

Also check you timing....

Did you do that?

Reply to
Steve Mackie

No not yet. I'm trying to get an idea as to what the problem is while I get my financial ducks in a row. I appreciate your suggestions. What does it cost roughly to do a code check in NS?

Reply to
John

$50, maybe. Is your check engine light on?

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Saturn SL1 has approximately 37 sensors. The TPS is one of them.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

Reply to
John

the throttle position sensor for your car is about $35 at kragen. it does sound like it is the problem by the symptoms you describe. if you have a voltmeter, you can test it. there are 3 wires on it, one is a +5v wire, one is a ground wire, & the last one is the signal wire. take your meter, turn the key to the run position but do not start the car. pull the plug from the TPS and determine which wires are the +5v and ground. with the plug unplugged from the TPS, the

3rd wire should give you no reading, or nearly no reading. reattach the plug & now stick your + meter probe thru the insulation on the wire that you determined is the 3rd wire or signal wire, and the

- meter probe to you guessed it, the ground. while watching the meter, slowly rotate the throttle open all the way. the voltage should change slowly & evenly without suddenly spiking to 5 or near zero anywhere thru the motion. if voltage jumps wildly at any time or doesn't change at all, the TPS is bad. this test is best performed with an analog voltmeter (needle type) but can be done with a digital one.

Reply to
superchuckles