Lumina sedan question.

We have had a 97 Lumina for over a year. We recently acquired a 96 LS model with less miles for cheap because it needs a new turn signal switch. The only things the LS has that the other doesn't is the obvious floor mounted shifter, ABS, tach cluster, dual zone temp controls, and an electric trunk release button. Both are the 3100 engine.

My question is that the 97's power windows work with the key in the run or accessory positions while 96's only work in run. Is there any way to make the 96 work in both positions and why would there be such a difference between years in the first place?

Reply to
Daniel who wants to know

??

My question is that the 97's power windows work with the key in the run or accessory positions while 96's only work in run. Is there any way to make the 96 work in both positions and why would there be such a difference between years in the first place? ___________________________________________________________________________________

This sounds like an ignition switch problem. The ignition switch makes the connections for accessories such as power windows, while enabling functioning in either the RUN or ACC mode. In many cars, the ignition switch is not near the ignition key . It is in a package mounted low on the steering column. The ignition key pushes a rod that actuates the switch.

Locate the switch package and replace it.

Good luck,

Rodan.

Reply to
Rodan