Cluster Replacement for '96 S-10

Hello group,

I have a '96 S-10 w/ the 4.3L and a manual tranny. I bought it used and it doesn't have a tach. I've been driving it for almost two years now, and I still want a tach. Getting an instrument cluster w/ a tach is no big deal. The question is - does the wiring harness have the tachometer feed and would the sensor be installed. I've looked in the shop manual for it, and I've found the wiring harness plug (LH side above the brake booster) and there is a white wire going to it and the manual says the white wire is for the tachometer feed. Does the cluster I have now just have a dummy pin because it doesn't have a tach? I just don't want to spend the money on a new cluster that if it doesn't work I can't return because it is an electronic item.

Thanks alot,

John

Reply to
John

Bobo

I already tried to pull the cluster, but I have to drop the column and the day I started doing that I ran out of time and had to put it back together. But once I get it apart I will check it with a voltmeter.

Thanks

voltmeter...

Reply to
John