Malibu Brakes

I have a 2005 Malibu Maxx LT that needs new front brake pads. Anyone have any suggestions on brands that have worked well? I noticed a lot of places are selling ceramic pads, anyone tried those? Thanks for your help

Tom

Reply to
Govtslug

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 19:12:04 -0500, Govtslug cast forth these pearls of wisdom...:

I switched over to using only ceramic pads quite a while ago and would never go back to cheap pads. The price difference is not that great, but they don't warp rotors as badly and they don't create the ugly brake dust on your wheels. Many new cars come with ceramics right from the factory. They are not exotic by any means, but they certainly are better.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Mike,

please elaborate on the dust if you don't mind. I'm going to need new brakes for my 944 "someday" (likely will end up throwing some rebuilt calipers on there before the pads wear out, but it seems silly to reuse old pads) and the current pads dust horribly. Is the dust from ceramics really easier to wash off the wheels? They're tearing my wheels up something awful, and I don't race the car.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 22:25:27 -0500, Nate Nagel cast forth these pearls of wisdom...:

Oh hell Nate - you won't even generate a fraction of the dust with ceramics that you do with semi's. Easier to clean? Shoot there's next to nothing to clean compared to semi's.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I'd get the Akebono ProAct ceramic. These are excellent pads for normal duty. They also have a Street Technology higher performance pads, but I've not tried them. Find these on tirerack.com

Light dusting and long lasting. These seem to be higher density than the Raybestos QS, which are quiet and stop well but wear out typically around 20-25K miles.

Ford has been using Akebonos as OEM during recent years. I'm not sure if across all models.

Akebono website:

AKEBONO Part # ACT1028 $53.99+shipping

I'd use Permatex brake lube for the caliper hardware. Don't use petro based solvent on rubber parts, it swells them.

johngdole

You probably have a Brembo brake setup on there? These are physics- defying brake systems. Yes they turn the wheels black, like in 2 stops. ;) For these premium brake systems I'd still go with OEM.

Or you can check out the Akebono Euro pads:

Again like their Street Performance pads, I've never tried these. If I have a Brembo system, despite the terrible black dust like Raybesto's old Brute Stop carbon metallics, I'd go with Brembo.

Personally I'd rebuild the calipers with new rubber parts with pad changes, especially these cermaic pads last a long time.

Reply to
johngdole

Nah, this is just a lil' ol' 944. good brakes, but pretty typical looking 2-pot cast iron calipers. Dunno what the stock pads were, was told that there are Metal Masters on it now. (have had car for 4-5 years, but the way I drive it takes a lot longer than that to wear out brakes.) I'll have to check and see if Akibono makes something for this app.

I would go the "new seal" route but I can buy reman calipers for not much more than a seal and hardware kit. that way all I have to do is wave a spray can at 'em and slap 'em on. Time is money ya know...

thanks

nate

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Nate, I have been hearing bad stories about tire wear on the Porsche lines. Can you comment?

Reply to
HLS