More Power??

Im looking to get more power out of my stock 305 engine. It has the 4bbl quadrajunk carb. Are there any inexpensive mods or anything that I can do for next to free to give it more power? Thanks

Amber

Simple answer? No. There is no such thing as a free lunch in this world.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Adding a water injector helps, but when coupled with the Tornado system under the carburetor, your power goes up considerably while the gas mileage increases too. Sounds to good to be true, but I read all about it in a couple of advertisements. You'll be amazed at the results, I'm sure.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Don't forget those Fitch fuel pills for the gas tank for more power, if you add it all up ya might pick up another 100 hp.

Reply to
Repairman

You forgot all about the fuel line magnets, Ed...

Reply to
HLS

ROTFL!

Reply to
PerfectReign

its real funny to make jokes at a girl, huh?

Reply to
Amber

We make jokes at guys too, so don't feel privileged.

If there were "free" ways of increasing power, we'd all have done it by now.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Well you *are* using web tv.

You tell me.

Reply to
PerfectReign

Yeah, the webtv is old, but why buy a computer when this gets the job done and is alot cheaper? Not everyone can afford all the flashy computer stuff, but thats a good reason to make fun of someone, right? I come here for help and all I get is bullshit. A simple "there is no way to get hp for free" would've done just fine, but now you have to slander me for my ISP?! Real mature fellas.

Reply to
Amber

Reply to
ROY BRAGG

Lol @ the girls dont need more power! Like a little boy picking on the girl. What a chump! lol

Reply to
Amber

Thank you. Not everyone recognizes my real talents.

My wife used to ask me "did anyone else call you an asshole today?" Now she asks, "who else called you an asshole today?"

If you are going to hang out and play on USENET, you need a thick skin. None of us did well in those sensitivity courses they gave us, now are we good at getting in touch with our feminine side. We try though, really we do. Maybe you can help. Are you cute? That does matter as us guys here are all 6'2" or taller, slim and muscular. I was a test pilot and drove race cars on weekends before retirement, now I spend most of my time managing my huge sums of money.

Keeping on topic, I raced my Lamborghini against a Corvette today.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Amber turned on the Etch-A-Sketch, scribbled a bit and said, "wow!":

Learn to properly quote.

Who the f*ck ever said I was mature?

Reply to
PerfectReign

ROTFL!

did you have a tornado installed in the lamborghini?

How about a fuel magnet?

If you put some "Powered by Honda" stickers and a super large exhaust, I've read they go *really* fast.

Oh, and Amber - if you were truly interested in asking a valid question, you'd put it in a better frame.

For example: "I have a 1987 Pontiac Trans Am that would be better served with more power since I live in Denver and need to drive up hills all the time. I have a 350 engine with a TBI carb. What can I do?"

Reply to
PerfectReign

Sell the 87 and go find a nice 79-81 with the 6.6 in it. Yeah the gas mileage will suck but you will have power to spare...

Or do what a friend did with his and stick a modified 400 under the hood.

Reply to
Steve W.

Ooh, a diesel powered Trans Am?

I know someone put a LBZ into a Olds and made it look like a Grand National, but a Trans Am...

...now *that* would be cool!

Reply to
PerfectReign

The 6.6 is the old gas powered 455. Can be worked on a bit and made into a nice runner. I have put together a few of the faux Grand Nationals. Did one with a well built engine and twin turbos. That thing could really run. But the owner wrapped it around a tree about 6 months after he got it...

Reply to
Steve W.

Don't think you're special, we mock EVERYONE :)

seriously, your original question needs more info. specifically year/ model, so we can see what you can and can't legally do.

I would think that if you are specifically having problems with a carburetor a Holley or Edelbrock, if available (the latter would be my choice) emissions-legal model would be a nice upgrade, but unless the Q-jet is actually worn out or otherwise compromised you probably won't see much power gain. If your vehicle was originally available with a

350 that would be the way to go, just swap the whole engine. Also a free flowing exhaust can help, but you'll need to maintain the stock cat(s) or replace it (them) with an equivalent performance model.

Gains will be modest rather than extravagant even with all of the above. Once you've got a 350 and good exhaust, then you can start shopping for aftermarket (but emissions legal) cams, heads, valvetrain, etc.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Oh, okay. I'm a young'n. I don't remember that engine. When I hear 6.6L I think diesel.

I did my homework, though, and just read up on them...

Here's a few linky thingys for the car. I need to contact this guy and check it out - IIRC, he's only a few miles from me:

PerfectReign