Motorcycles not Scooters...

So this is a subject of being frugal in the city when gas is $5 a gallon...

Now a scooter beginning at 50cc engine size gets good fuel mileage but poor performance. And a scooter has small wheels and therefor is not as stable as a motorcycle....

But a motorcycle does not have an automatic transmission. So shift with the left foot while pulling the clutch with the left hand. Brake with the right hand and twist the throttle with the right hand. But the transmission shifting is crude so be methodical with the shifting. Now the throttle is zero power to full power in one-quarter turn...so if the throttle gets away from you just pull the clutch with the left hand.

Now if you find yourself coming into a curve too fast just go ahead and lean very hard and try to make the curve...because a vehicle under heavy cornering loads is slowing down through the curve as it is making the curve. Next...a motorcycle will stop in a very short distance if leaned upright and then the front brake is pulled very hard. Finally it is better to vault over something on a motorcycle than it is to crash into the side of something...

Now for the frugal motorcycles:

The Suzuki DR200SE at $4,199 gets 105 MPG city...

The Suzuki TU250X at $3,799 gets 82 MPG city...

The Suzuki GZ250 at $3,799 gets 82 MPG city...

The Honda CRF230M at $5,399 should get about 80 MPG city...

The Kawasaki Ninja 250R at $4,000 should get about 60 MPG city...

You want a sports car instead ?

The Mini Cooper at $18,550 gets 28/37 MPG...

The Mazda MX-5 at $22,750 gets 22/28 MPG...

The Pontiac Solstice at $24,275 gets 19/25 MPG...

Reply to
PolicySpy

Need a bigger motorcycle ?

A twin-cylinder motorcycle is narrower than a four-cylinder motorcycle, gets better fuel mileage, has more torque, and weighs less. And a 90-degree twin has less vibration than other types of twins...

So there's the Suzuki SV650SF at $7,499 and 54 MPG city...

Need a bigger car ?

The Ford Mustang V-6 is about the same weight and size as a BMW 3 Series coupe. The car only lacks a modern engine but costs $20,995 and gets 18/26 MPG....

The BMW 1 Series coupe is smaller than the BMW 3 Series but weighs about the same and has the same engine. The car costs $29,400 and gets 18/28 MPG...

The Nissan 370Z coupe costs $29,930 and gets 18/26...

Reply to
PolicySpy

don't forget Smiles per Gallon. you can't compare a two wheeler to a cage.

Reply to
1 who waits

I used to own a scooter that was larger than most motorcycles, and had a

400cc engine (optional 650cc). At up to 85MPH on the thruway, I noticed no instability problems at all. Only got 55MPG with it (which rarely varied). But they do make similar sized scooters with smaller engines that do better, as far as fuel economy goes. If it's scooter you are after and fuel economy is a priority, look at something around 250cc. These are still powerful enough to be street legal, and would be OK for short distance highway travel, but should easily top 70MPG. -Dave
Reply to
Dave

1 who waits wrote:

PolicySpy wrote:

Well...I winced when I realized that the affordable and fuel efficient 650cc

90-degree twin that I found had a pseudo-Ducati-frame-look. Then I smiled when I found that the Ducati 848 Superbike only costs $13,495. But even Ducati is giving up the hand-welded frame for pre-fab parts...on some of their models.
Reply to
PolicySpy

PolicySpy wrote some more:

Oh...maybe the Suzuki Gladius (instead of the SV650) is the 650cc 90-degree Twin look that I was after. Yeah this is fun...shopping is fun. And 58 MPG city...

Reply to
PolicySpy

Also...an emergency lane change is possible on a motorcycle at highway speeds. But an emergency lane change is also possible on a motorcycle at walking speed. In fact the walking speed emergency lane change is the type of riding that those special police motorcycle units practice.

And if you get a larger motorcycle then the motorcyclist style, attitude, and technique...is to use the power of the motorcycle to stay out in front of traffic and reduce the number of cars near you. And that's all its about...

Reply to
PolicySpy

-GV

Reply to
GlassVial

Well I live in an area with severe winter weather and "lake effect" snow. Last year, I stopped riding my motorcycle to work in mid-January, and started again in early April. You have to dress for weather that is about

30F *colder* than what the thermometer actually shows. So if it's 40F outside, dress for 10F. But if you are willing to dress appropriately, there is no reason you can't ride year-round. It's suicidal to ride in snow/ice conditions. But if you're willing to deal with the cold, there are only a couple of months a year (read: two) that you really can't ride, no matter where you live. -Dave
Reply to
Dave