17 mpg - city for W201 190E2.6 1990 is it normal?

Hello, My W201 190E2.6 1990 (128k) has 17mpg for city and approx. 23 mpg for highway, Is it normal for it? I guess not... How can I fix it? Actually, this car has new spark plugs wires (Febi), distributor cap and rotor (Febi), fuel and air filters were changed 10k miles ago.

Thanks!

Reply to
Igor Aleshin

Peter W. Peternouschek

The 2.6 engine is really not noted for its economy. My 1988 260E 160,000 miles) does around 21/22mpg round town and up to 30mpg on the motorway (freeway), but of course the UK Gallon is bigger than the US Gallon, if that's where you are from. My 500SE does around 16mpg in town and 23-25mpg on the motorway, and the engine is nearly twice as big as the 260E!

I would say your car may be using a little too much fuel BUT then again I don't know how you drive it! I am an elderly gentleman who drives sedately. Remember the thing that uses the most fuel is acceleration and sitting in queues, not moving.

Of course your car may also have a catalytic converter fitted, which may make it use a little more fuel. Mine does not have a CAT, so maybe I am trying to compare things which are not at all the same.

Otherwise, try getting it tuned, including replacement of the air filter if it shows signs of soiling and new spark plugs. The mixture should be checked as well. Make sure the tyre pressures are not low as well.

All the best,

-- Al Bolton, G4VSQ

1990 Mercedes 500SE 130,000 miles 1988 Mercedes 260E 160,000 miles
Al Bolton

Al, Thanks a lot for your explanation! :)

Reply to
Igor Aleshin

I agree with Mr. Bolton. Maintenance is important, and driving style definitely affects mileage. If you are in stop and go driving, mileage is worse. Especially if you like to accelerate rapidly.

Also, gasoline quality, and cleaning agents and/or ethynol contained therein is important. When our city was requiring certain detergents and agents, my mileage went from 18 mpg city to 14 mpg city. Terrible!

Your city mileage seems decent but your highway mileage of 23 mpg seems WAY too low. Unless you are driving at 85mph+ I think you should be getting at least 30 mpg on the highway. I believe that is a

2.6 litre in-line six you have. Mileage should be better I think.

Jason Moore

1990 300TE 200K 19/28 mpg
Reply to
Jason M.

The original window sticker for my 1991 US 190E 2.6 shows:

City MPG = 19 Highway MPG = 24

Actual Mileage will vary with options, driving conditions, driving habits and vehicle's condition. Results reported to EPA indicated that the majority of vehicles with these estimates will achieve between

16 and 22 mpg in the city, and between 20 and 28 mpg on the highway.

1991 190E 2.6 Liter

6-cyl Engine Fuel Inj Auto 4 SPD Trans Rear-Wheel Dr Catalyst Feedback Fuel System

Estimated Annual Fuel Cost: $1,035.

I'd say that your mpg is quite normal.

Reply to
glgxg

my 3 ltr '91 300e (162,000 miles) gets 18 city, 26 highway consistantly.

Reply to
~A_Sammy

beside excellent maintainence, little tweeks such as using synthetic oils and check that tires at proper maximum recommended pressures (I overinflated by 10% in winter and 5%the rest of the year) may add a few mpg.

Personally I learned a trick a few years ago, in stop and go traffic I don't touch the gas rather I used the brake pedal only, letting the engine remain in idle.

In my daily commute during the winter (Chicago) I would start the car, wait for oil pressure to get up, but rather than wait for a complete warm up. I would start to travelly slowly down sidestreets until the car warmed up (faster than waiting to warm while idling).

When not running late I am a feather foot (not slow mind you), I keepup wiht traffic but coast when possible. I anticipate braking far in advance by keeping an eyen on traffic ahead. A simple thing like not tailgatine in stop n go makes a bit of differnece in a cumalitiave way.

I found altogether this bumped my winter average up 4-5 mpg on a car that was epa rate for 24mpg I was getting almost 30mpg.

MC

P.S. My commute distance is 40miles (expressway) plus one mile of streets at each end.

Reply to
MC