New Beetle

Some interesting or not so interesting trivia. The Aircooled Beetle gets around 26-28 miles per gallon. I looked up what the mpg is on a New Beetle with a 4 cyl and manual trans at

The New Beetleonly gets 24 mpg in the city. Maybe that 1930s carburated aircooled technologyis not that bad after all. :o) Bill Berckman

67 Beetle
Reply to
Bill Berckman

That type of fuel consumption seems excessive. I have a 65 beetle that used to give 35+ to the gallon. Tim

Reply to
Tim murphy

Are Irish gallons = US gallons?

Reply to
Michael Cecil

Good figures to have, Bill. Thanks. While almost off-topic, my 99 Taurus station wagon has a half-ton chassis (same capacity as some Suburbans) and gets 24.5mpg at 75mph with the air conditioning running! (back on-topic: I use it to tow Bugs and stuff.)

Reply to
jjs

Downhill with a tail-wind.

Reply to
jjs

Befor or after breakfast beers?

Reply to
jjs

No..we pay top dollar for our gas.....you just invade thirdworld countries and steal it, and then sell it for nothing.;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim murphy

Seems we know more about tuning beetles than you do .

He..He..;-) Tim

Reply to
Tim murphy

Actually, Americans pay dearly for oil, but not at the pump.

Reply to
jjs

If you still doubt the fuel consumption, then check out fuel economy here, same engine specs.

How dearly do you pay at the pumps. We pay 5 euros a gallon here in Ireland, about 6 dollars I think.

Tim

Reply to
Tim murphy

I had a 63 VW that could get the high 30's mpg years ago. It also ran to lean and hot which is not good for air cooled as I learned. This is why I run rich and with lots of air flow at all speeds. I ran my Puma the other day at highway speeds for about 10 miles. The oil temp was about 160F. I like that.

href="

">Den's1977 Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

................If the Irish use the UK's larger Imperial gallon instead of the American gallon, it would help to explain this discrepancy. The other difference that comes to mind is that Americans drive at higher speeds on better roads than most of Europe. The Autobahn in Germany is only comparable to a minor branch of the interstatae highway system throughout North America. Another aspect of driving style that comes into play is that accelerating with more throttle than is necessary can make a huge difference in gas mileage. I'd say that any stock bug no matter the year ought to get approximately 30 miles to the American gallon in a mixed setting of city & open road conditions if driven without a lead foot.

Reply to
Tim Rogers