No Crank

My cousin had his 1991 Cavalier 2.2 parked at a friends for a few months. He went to start the car the other day but it wouldn't crank. I tested the battery for him and it was ok. I gave him a starter that I had and he installed it today. No crank again. I tested the battery again it was good. I did notice that when the key was turned to start there was no load put on the battery. I will try and trace the positive wire from the battery back to the starter with a test light to see if power is getting to the starter. If not could it be an ignition switch? Thank you

Reply to
John Myer

starter. If

You may have answered your own question. You've been working backwords in solving the problem. There was nothing wrong with the battery or starter and you swapped both instead of checking. The first step should have been banging on the ignition switch and moving the shifter around to toggle the neutral safety switch because it sounds like one of them is the cause. And of course you must check all the connections. You could have a cable that is coroded inside where you can't see, but if it started two months ago a simple switch connection is more likely.

Reply to
Al Bundy

"msfortune" wrote: > John Myer wrote: > > My cousin had his 1991 Cavalier 2.2 parked at a friends for > a few > months. > > He went to start the car the other day but it wouldn't > crank. I > tested the > > battery for him and it was ok. I gave him a starter that I > had and he > > installed it today. No crank again. I tested the battery > again it was > good. > > I did notice that when the key was turned to start there was > no load > put on > > the battery. I will try and trace the positive wire from the > battery > back to > > the starter with a test light to see if power is getting to > the > starter. If > > not could it be an ignition switch? Thank you > > You may have answered your own question. You've been working > backwords > in solving the problem. There was nothing wrong with the > battery or > starter and you swapped both instead of checking. The first > step should > have been banging on the ignition switch and moving the > shifter around > to toggle the neutral safety switch because it sounds like one > of them > is the cause. And of course you must check all the > connections. You > could have a cable that is coroded inside where you can't see, > but if > it started two months ago a simple switch connection is more > likely.

its the igniton switch. same thing happened to me with my 97 cavalier. will need tiny 12 point socket(1/8"). you can use pliers also like i did(to take out the screws)

Reply to
gutters