No heat in '95 Park Ave Ultra

The AC works fine, but no heat in the winter. Where should I begin tracking this down? I assume there is a heater valve in the hose from the engine cooling system, but I can't see it.

TIA

Ed

Reply to
Ed

Antifreeze level? Thermostat? Air bubble in the cooling system?

There have been a ton of questions like this over the past few weeks or months. DAGS a bit and you'll find a ton of suggestions and ideas.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Reply to
Shep

Water valves were done away with in the mid 1970's. If the hoses are hot, then water is circulating. Therefore, it's a door.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

Thanks, Shep. Just checked them and both are hot.

What's the typical failure mode for the flaps? Is there a vacuum actuator that fails, or is it more likely the programmer? What do I have to take apart to check it out?

TIA

Ed

Reply to
Ed

Thanks, Mike. Coolant level is fine. The t'stat is 10 years old, so it probably deserves replacing, but since the heater hoses are hot I don't think this is the problem with the heater.

What does DAGS mean? Search Google Groups?

Ed

Reply to
Ed

Yup - Do A Google Search (DAGS). Like I said, there's just been a ton of discussion lately about this very sort of problem so I'm sure you can quickly find a handful of ideas to get you headed in the right direction.

Like you say, that thermostat will likely have to go. 10 years - that's record book stuff. Frame that sucker. Put tiny hands on it and make it a wall clock.

Reply to
Mike Marlow