older chevy van roof gutter/Mexico body work

Does anyone know if there is anywhere to get a replacement roof/rain gutter for an older van (1973-1978) or does it need to be fabricated? Also does anyone have any experience with body work in Mexico? Thankx

Reply to
jmhickey

Probably much cheaper just to fab it in. There should be a ton of shops in Mexico. Have you looked around at all?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Argh! I'm sorry. I just realized that you asked if anyone had *experience* with body work in Mexico. I haven't but I have heard of some very crafty work coming out of Mexico. For a van of that vintage, I shouldn't think you'd have much to worry about. If it were a brand new car I could see where your standards might be higher for body work, but for a 30 year old vehicle it hardly seems worth being too picky.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Yes Mike, you're right. I'm not that picky, but would like it done right. I guess the only way to do that is "do it yourself":) Unfortunately, I don't weld or work in sheet metal. I can always get it painted here after the work is done. I would consider some kind of fiberglas top, if I can find one that is closer to the original profile, not a bubble type. The only real bad part on the roof is the gutter. Thanks.

Reply to
jmhickey

I would not say that at all jeannemarie. There are lots of places the world over that do perfectly good work. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about body shops in Mexico so I can't offer you more specific recommendations.

I'd just take it to what is considered to be a reputable body shop near you and get a quote. You might be surprised at what you discover.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Limited experience. Some is excellent, some is crap. Hmm, sounds like shops in the US. My brother had his '69 Impala re-upholstered and it was top notch. I saw some minor body and paint work that was as good as any I've seen. I've also seen some that was second rate.

Ask around and I'm sure you'll get some specific recommendations.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Thanks Mike and Edwin for your comments. Much appreciated.

Reply to
jmhickey

I used to have a friend who always liked to have his paint and/or body customized a little and he took it down to mexico, he lived in san diego.ITs been a really long time since I have been in contact with him. Back in the early 90s he had a 20 years old Chevy van overhauled complete with murials and disco bed. I think it cost about 2K. He had kin down there so he knew where to go. Im sure his being hispanic had something to do with it to. Same thing in the states though, you have to know somebody that knows the best place.

Reply to
Jimmie D