Opinions of Malibu?

Anyone have any for the '04s? I was looking at the 04 Pontiac Grand Prix, but that price is too much for me, and Honda just won't let me drive a LX-V6 Accord without signing papers - one lot refused to even show me one, saying that all I needed was an I-4 and their manual tranny to equal anything that *any* domestic engine. Needless to say, after peeling out with my 87 Regal, *that* salesman may wish to re-evaluate his position.

Anyhow, the 3.5 Litre engine is what I'm looking at.

And for Harryface, 8upman et al, I'll be trading in a different car, not the Regal :) :) :Þ

Vuarra

Vuarra

Without signing papers? like what kinda papers.

As for the motor, apparently its a DOHC 3.5L motor that puts out roughly the same power as the 3800 series II, this is the first year I've seen it in any of the cars, so I don't know about any problems with it. The base model gets the 2.2 ecotec motor. The chassis is the new epsilon thats also used on the Saab 9-3 (which got the 2.0 turbocharged ecotec, why isnt this in the GT sunfires pontiac?) and Opel Vectra, which explains why it looks overly "european". It seems to be an alright sedan overall, but its not my style of car.

Reply to
Paradox

I don;t have any experience with the '04 (I have an '03)

Here's a review that seems quite positive about it.

Brad Clarke

Contract to buy.

I would rather assume that he was protecting his cars from joyriders, but HTF would I know if I wanted the car w/o driving it? That I should go by Honda's reputation? Or that I should take his word on the car and buy it by the way it looked on the parking lot.

*thinks he should have crossposted this to rec.autos.makers.honda to see what they think of such sales tactics*

Vuarra

Vuarra

"Paradox" wrote

Actually, the v-6 is not a DOHC engine. It's simply a slightly enlarged version of the 3100/3400 motor. We've had a couple of these cars in the shop and although the engine looks slightly different (new style upper intake plenum) it's essentially the same engine. I did notice that the lower intake gasket now has an actual "gasket" at the front and rear ends, instead of using RTV. It will be interesting once one comes apart so see if they have updated the entire intake gasket.

These cars also have no hydraulic power steering system. You notice right away that the ps pump is missing from the front of the engine. They use an electric motor under the dash to provide assist for the steering. It felt quite good when I drove one around the shop.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Well, think about it, someone coming in to test drive a $30,000 jap crap status symbol in a '87 Buick Regal??

Reply to
noyap

Ahh so no DOHC, I heard that from somewhere, not sure where. So is it the same block as the 3.1 and 3.4? I know the 3.4 is basically a bored out 3.1, did they bore it out even further or add stroke? With an electric PS pump, does it still need fluid? The fuel economy numbers look very nice compared to the 3.1 and 3.4, and the HP/torque numbers look pretty much the same as the 3.8. I hope GM puts the dynograph and engine specs on gmpowertrain.com soon cuz I want to take a look.

Reply to
Paradox

Also GM should trim out some of their extra engines... I'm still not sure why they still offer the 3.1 when they could put the 3.4 in all of the cars with the 3.1

They should drop production down to:

Ecotec 2.2 for the cavalier sunfire base grand am's etc. (compacts and base midsized) New Malibu's 3.5 for the base model Monte Carlo, Grand Prix, Impala, Grand Am GT, alero, Minivans etc (midsized car)

3800 Series III SC for the Monte Carlo SS, Impala SS, Grand Prix GTP etc (high end coupes, top end midsized cars etc) And finish the new 6.0L motor for the C6 Corvettes.

dropping to just producing 4 motors could save GM alot of money.

Reply to
Paradox

No, no PS fluid - the system is basically a motor geared into the steering column below the wheel, it's entirely mounted inside the passenger compartment. The steering rack is basically just like an old manual-steering rack.

The Saturn Ion (like I have) was the first GM vehicle to use electric power steering, its system is made by Koyo (a Japanese company). However, Delphi has their own EPS system now, which may be what they're using in the Malibu..

Reply to
Robert Hancock

It seems to have gotten some fairly good reviews. Personally though, I would avoid the 1st production year of any redesigned vehicle, regardless of make/model. Give it a year or two to work through the kinks.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Some kinks will still remain until the next redesign :)

I wonder if the blower motor switch problem exists in the '04 models?

Reply to
Brad Clarke

Agreed. It does look like this is what GM are trying to do, for the most part, but I would assume that they are going thru excess stock in fitting certain cars with certain engines.

They should also consider doing what the competition are doing - developing 5-, 6- and even a 7- speed auto transmission. That's one of the things I wanted to look at an Accord about.

Vuarra

Vuarra

Fair enough, but two things cross my mind.

1) He was trying to sell me a Civic. (Actually, he was trying to hard sell me on the Civic.... having been a salesperson before, I've seen the tactic)

2) I look like I'm in my late twenties, even though I'm in my thirties, with a beard, a wife and a 1½ year old son.

And yes, I do keep forgetting that the Accord is a status symbol, and a fairly well stolen one at that. Which is why I was looking at a Grand Prix GT2.

Vuarra

Vuarra

On my '99 the A/C light will often switch off, even though the fan is still blowing. If I adjust the fan speed (up and then down or vice versa), the A/C will come back on. Is this the same problem you are describing?

Brad Clarke wrote in

Reply to
Joe Blow

After a while, fan speeds 1 and 2 will stop working.

I can't remember what the actual name of it is right now, but it's been a problem since the Malibu was re-introduced for the '97 model year.

Reply to
Brad Clarke

This sounds like blown resistors. Fan speed 1 in my 1988 Honda Civic stopped working once. (It recently failed again, which goes to show how questionable junkyard parts can be.) Each fan speed is controlled by a resistor coil. The higher fan speeds use thicker wires in the coils while the lower fan speeds use thinner wires. As you might guess, the thinner wires (for the lower fan speeds) are the ones most likely to break.

I replaced the resistor pack myself with a recycled one from a junkyard. It wasn't very hard to replace. (This is saying a lot, since about the only repair work I do on my car is the easiest stuff like changing windshield wipers or the air filter.)

Jason Hsu, AG4DG usenet AAAAA TTTTT jasonhsu.com

Reply to
Jason Hsu

Reply to
Roy G. Bragg

I know nothing about the 04 Bu, but while waiing for my friend in the Chevy Parts department to find ten new lug nuts for me last week, I sat in an 04 Impala LS and an 04 Bu. The Impala bucket stabbed me in the lower back, even with the lumbar dial turned down and the Bu's bucket was like sitting on a concrete bench in NY Central Park.

I like the looks of the new Bu. And the Malibu Max I think comes out in January ?? maybe.

Shame on u for going to Honda !

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~273,304 miles_~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

I haven't acquired the new car yet. As a matter of fact, I haven't decided whether to go to the Pontiac or the Honda. While I like the bells and whistles of the GP, the Accord is one hell of a machine. Before I buy, I will have to take the GP out for an extended test.

Vuarra

Vuarra