Pontiac G6 or Ford Fusion V6?

Which car is the best deal in the V6 version? I prefer coupes or 4 doors and G6 makes the coupe but the profile of the coupe is abit annoying to me. The Fusion only comes in the 4 door but the body looks better. The engine in the Ford is also more advanced supposedly. The fusion looks decent from the back with the dual exhaust. Anybody tested both cars or have opinions?

Reply to
Oil Can Harry

I have driven the Fusion on several test drives and was really impressed. I haven't tried a G6 to compare it with.

John

Reply to
John Horner

I was just reading that the Fusion is based upon a Ford engine and a Mazda platform. The review, as far as it went, wasn't very complimentary.

Reply to
<HLS

Speaking from experience, never buy a new model from Ford or GM in the first model year. I had a 95 Windstar. Nuff said.

Reply to
Denis Roy

Meant to say prefer coupes over 4 doors.

Reply to
Oil Can Harry

I haven't driven the Pontiac, but I bought may wife the Lincoln version of the Fusion, the Zephyr, for Christmas. Great car at a great price

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Mike, the Zephyr and Lincoln names have been inexorably linked for many, many years. I've seen a couple of Zephyrs on the street but haven't yet tried one out. They look really nice. What are your impressions of your wife's car?

Reply to
Cool Jet

I don't particularly like FWD, but it is a nice all-around vehicle as far as size, handling, power, comfort and luxury for a 27K vehicle. What surprised me is the fuel mileage. The EPA highway rating is 28 MPG. The fuel computer shows 33 MPG on the interstates at 75 MPH. We took it on a

320 trip and averaged 31.7, based on refills, at speeds up to 80 mph, remarkable.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Thanks for the feedback Mike. Those mileage figures sound amazing for the car's weight. As I recall, the car weighs in around 3500 pounds. Does that 3 liter Duratec V6 move it along okay?

Reply to
Cool Jet

More than adequate for my wife. I prefer to drive high powered RWD V8 vehicles, so my personal expectations are somewhat higher.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

That would be your 'Stang, I presume. I'm an older model RWD V8 aficionado, in the form of a '63 Vette roadster. But I only drive mine in summer weather. I'm presently suffering from major withdrawal! My daily driver is a Bonneville, but I'll be having a close look at the retro Mustang in the spring. It's one sweet looking ride!

Reply to
Cool Jet

So would you say the engine is much more advanced than the pontiac pusher rod?

Reply to
Oil Can Harry

I assume that would be your 'Stang which you speak of. My preference is even older high powered RWD V8 vehicles, such as my '63 Vette. But probably unlike your 'Stang, my Vette spends too many winter months in the garage. I'm feeling withdrawal symptoms as we speak! *LOL*

My daily driver is a Bonneville, but I've really been eyeing up the 'Stang. I really like the retro look and I may be paying a visit to the local Ford Dealer in the spring.

Reply to
Cool Jet

If you haven't test driven a GT yet please do yourself a favor and do so, you don't have to wait for spring either, that traction control works well...

Reply to
351CJ

I love my '05 GTO. More powerful and quicker than the Mousetang, comfortable, great acceleration (especially with the traction control turned off), very decent gas mileage, and it was about the same price as the '97 Firebird convertible that it replaced. I did install a skip shift eliminator.

I hope the redesign in a few years is retro '66-'67, the prettiest GTOs ever, but we will just have to see.

Tom S.

Reply to
Tom S.

Well let's hope that it's retro sized as well as styled. We don't want another round of Mustang II type interpretations of the past.

At the moment it appears that GM thinks that Opel = Cadillac Seeming to forget that top line 1950's Cadillac's which sold well enough were more money than a Rolls Royce.

Be proud to be American !

Quit importing old Australian and European crap and calling it new product.

Sorry for the rant but I want a Cadillac not an Opel, a Fairlane 500 not a Focus.

Canada and America's roads aren't paved over goat paths, they are roads built for big, safe, fast cars.

Our cars should reflect that.

Reply to
joe schmoe

Got a URL with pics of that Vette? Putting the finishing touches on a 64 Stingray that I will hate to see leave the shop.

Reply to
FBR

Traction control is for women and folks who don't know how to drive. Real men steer via the skinny pedal.

Reply to
FBR

In the real world of experienced drivers, traction control is a pain in the butt. When one is driving slippery road it works fine but if one is trying to get motivated when the traction is less than ideal, the traction control needs to be turned OFF or the engine drops down to idle and you can't get to goin' That is true of FWD or RWD vehicles. The 'traction Lox' axle is the baby that does what needs to get dune to drive when it slick. My Mustang will get up our driveway, or any icy hill, better than the FWD cars any day. People assume because FWD may have an advantage when driving in unplowed snow that it handles better or is better on plowed mountain roads, as well, FWD is not better. Next time you slide of the road on an icy downhill curve, take note of what the cop is driving when he comes to investigate the accident. ;)

mike hunt

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

No question the GTO is quicker, it is a smaller car with a bigger engine. However I wanted a convertible. In addition I can take a vacation, pay for my insurance and buy all of my gas for the two years that I will own the Mustang, with the money I saved on difference in purchase price, between the two ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter