'94 Geo Metro steering wheel squeaks when turned

How would I go about lubricating the steering wheel? Should I use silicone or oil?

Reply to
Ernie Sty

The actual steering wheel squeeks or the power steering squeeks?

------------------------------------

Auto Forums

Reply to
xblazinlv

The squeaking bushing is quite far down in the column, past the directional / ignition switch cuff. I doubt a lube would penetrate.

Try removing steering wheel and lock cylinder plate, than you might be able to squirt bushing.

Reply to
Paul

Thanks!

Reply to
Ernie Sty

The steering wheel itself is what's squeaking. It doesn't have power steering.

Reply to
Ernie Sty

Anyone know how much a steering wheel puller costs? I removed the nut holding it on but couldn't get the wheel off. In my Haynes manual it says after removing the nut, "use an appropriate puller" to take the wheel off...

Reply to
Ernie Sty

Commonly available in the aftermarket Ernie. Probably around $20.00. You'll probably need the steering wheel puller and the plate puller - two different pullers.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Hey, i got a 94 geo metro also.

You dont have to buy the puller. Autozone and O'reillys will lend you the tools you need, or most of them. You just pay a rental and get a refund when you return them. It's not a tool you will use alot, so why buy it, when you don't have to.

Hope this helps.

Myc

Reply to
myc1972

Thank you!

Reply to
Ernie Sty

Awesome, thanks!!

Reply to
Ernie Sty

One more thing. I am sorry if this is a dumb question, but if the wheel (and lock plate) fits so tightly that you need a special tool to remove it, do you also need one to get it back on? Is there a steering wheel pusher??

Reply to
Ernie Sty

Nope. It'll all make sense when you tear into it.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Ok. Thanks again!

Reply to