Possible fuel pump leak

Hello Folks. '81 Pontiac 305 V8, H code engine

Mechanical fuel pump on side of engine has very slight gas residue - not dripping, barely discernible - on upper hemisphere of pump. No gas evident on oil dipstick.

Is there a weep / relief hole in that area, to drain pump if diaphragm leaks ?

... or is such miniscule gas residue inconsequential?

I've had a fuel pump die before ( '72 Buick Sylark / 350 ), but that was noticeable by gas dripping.

Otherwise the Pontiac runs good .. just turned over 90,000 Km. ( had

55,000 when I bought it a couple of years ago ).

Unlike the Buick Skylark, I believe the Pontiac fuel pump is driven by a pushrod (?) I've read that it can be held in place by grease during reassembly. Any suggestions or advice re: installing such a pump? ( if it is necessary now ). Please reply to NG

Thanks, -JS

Reply to
Question Authority