Fuel Pump leak

I stored the 64 bug with a full tank of gas with fuel stabilizer, removed the battery and put it on a tender.

I decided to give it a mid-winter start as I try to do with all the other stored vehicles (bus and motorcycle).

Put the battery in, pumped the pedal a few times and it fired right up. Let it idle until it was warmed up, then shut it off and went inside. Came out a few minutes later and noted a puddle under the car. Oil leak I thought, but I stuck my finger it it anyway, and gave it a whiff... gas! I open the lid and found the fuel pump soaked in gas. Check the hose fittings, they are tight and not leaking. It appears to be leaking out of the body of the pump. Is this common?

Last year when I started the bus in the spring, same thing happened, only it was the fuel lines leaking.

There are 2 kinds of VWs - those that have been on fire, and those that will be on fire.

Take care when starting a bug that has been sitting awhile.

Bryan

Reply to
Bryan

But then you should know that already !