Problem with a 94 Caprice Classic Going Dead

I own a 94 Caprice Classic with the 350 Engine, approximately 1 - 1.5 years ago all of a sudden the car battery would go dead on us for no apparent reason.

At first we thought it was just because it was the battery being old so we brought it to Sears for a replacement battery as it had an old Die Hard in it that had not yet run out of it's warranty, they put it on their machine and said it's not the battery but some cable that ran between the alternator and the battery?

Thinking something was fishy (I used to work at Sears a long time ago) I said no thanks and brought it to the local garage where we have most of our work done now and they checked it out and said it was indeed the battery and they replaced it. For a while the car was fine then all of a sudden one day the car was dead again?

For awhile I could start the car with my battery charger/jump starter and the car would be OK for ahwile but then it would not be. Now the car cannot be started and driven and restarted any where We recently had to have it jumped by AAA and they said that something in the car was drawing off the battery when it was sitting off doing nothing and that's why the car would not start after being run any more?

Today I brought it back to the local garage who said they would make good on the repair the last time they fixed it, they just called me and said that after checking out the car they found nothing wrong with the car at all or battery? It's just that the car has only been driven 1900 miles in that 1.5 years and needs to be driven more and driven highway miles.

Does this sound correct to anyone out there? I agree that the car is not driven much but it is driven once or twice a week for a few miles and as far as I know that should be sufficient to keep the battery charged up and everything working fine.

My wife is going to start driving the car on a more regular basis and I don't want her to get stuck, do you think she will or is the garage correct in what they say?

All replies will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Reply to
Mrbledsoe

Is the battery only dead after the car sits for awhile? If so, then there's probably little risk of being stranded unless the vehicle is left overnight.

Did the shop do a parasitic draw test? What was the draw amperage?

Reply to
hyundaitech