Problem with AC air flow on Olds Intrigue

You start by removing all lower dash trim. Then watch to see what moves or doesn't move when the MODE is changed. Then see if some things (aka door actuators) that don't move, will move with a little push.

The door actuators are usually two-way vacuum diaphragms with rods to the door levers. It should be obvious if one looks like it's trying to move but won't. Another, step is unhooking the rods from the door leverss and seeing how the actuators move then..

I have a Blazer that would not work properly with out removing one of the return springs on a door. Door moves freely by hand, actuator moves fine when not hooked up, but, won't work when assembled with spring in place. GW

DLW wrote:

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Somewhere (here, I thought) recently I read a post regarding a tendency for an air flow door to warp and therefore fail to direct air properly, but of course now I cannot locate the post. My system is the "automatic climate control" type. Anyone know what can cause lack of adequate air flow and even the ability to direct air thru different vents with MODE? (Weak-to-moderate flow comes out all vents regardless of MODE selected, and the distribution is unchanged with a different MODE selection.) Air temp seems acceptably cool, and it sounds like the blower is pumping enough air -- it's just not coming out the vents forcefully, so the AC can't begin to keep up with this Colorado heat wave we're having! Vacuum leak? Electronic control problem? Air flow door stuck or warped? Anyone have similar symptoms and an idea where to start? Thank you. DW

Reply to
DLW

Doug, Your situation sounds exactly like a particular TSB (I don't have the number handy), and I think mine is a different problem. However, since it's so easy, I just did the battery-disconnect thing. It does seem to have made some difference in directing air flow with changes in the MODE setting. I'll test it out further as the day heats up (sadly, that won't take long). Thanks for responding, and good luck with yours. Dave

Reply to
DLW